The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price"

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #281  
Wow, my local shop told me they could source seals for any cylinder. They did and had it done in 4 days for $200.
Are you up early or late?

What the drawback to just replacing the OEM ones with less expensive ones? (in most cases I don't believe more money = more quality, but I do understand there is a certain amount of quality that comes at a premium).

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #282  
Are you up early or late?

What the drawback to just replacing the OEM ones with less expensive ones? (in most cases I don't believe more money = more quality, but I do understand there is a certain amount of quality that comes at a premium).
I was up late last night because I took a nap after dinner and wasn’t sleepy later. I really don’t know how aftermarket cylinders compare to OEM, but you would need to match the size of OEM exactly. And that might be a custom order. I do know as I said in an earlier post that most hydraulic shops can easily do a seal replacement job, and the local shop I used was quite reasonable; they even repainted it the correct color. They told me that they don’t source the expensive OEM seal kit; they just measure the size and type of seal and usually have something they can use on hand or can order them. No need to replace a cylinder just because seals leak; only if the cylinder itself is damaged.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #283  
I've rebuilt several cylinders over the years. Hardest part can be getting them apart. Once you have removed the gland from the barrel it's pretty easy.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #284  
I've rebuilt several cylinders over the years. Hardest part can be getting them apart. Once you have removed the gland from the barrel it's pretty easy.
My luck I would get it apart, then ruin one of the seals in the expensive replacement kit.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #285  
My luck I would get it apart, then ruin one of the seals in the expensive replacement kit.
I always worry about that as well. And some of the seals are very hard to get on the gland. You'll swear you are going to break them. But I never have.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #286  
It happens. The local hydraulic shop replaces seals by size & has a selection. For rebuilding cylinders they have a huge old lathe - I don't know if it even runs, but it is perfect for holding cylinders, taking off the glands and pressing seals. I haven't been there in years now, but a decade ago the basic rebuild price for a 2" to 3" diameter cylinder was in the $100 to $200 dollar range.

That cost to rebuild makes sense - it takes an experienced guy an hour to do a cylinder right, the tools are basic, and the parts are standard inexpensive industrial pieces.
That's about all the info a mechanical guy needs to build a small repair business.

rScotty

Last edited:
   / The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #287  
It happens. The local hydraulic shop replaces seals by size & has a selection. For rebuilding cylinders they have a huge old lathe - I don't know if it even runs, but it is perfect for holding cylinders, taking off the glands and pressing seals. I haven't been there in years now, but a decade ago the basic rebuild price for a 2" to 3" diameter cylinder was in the $100 to $200 dollar range.

That cost to rebuild makes sense - it takes an experienced guy an hour to do a cylinder right, the tools are basic, and the parts are standard inexpensive industrial pieces.
That's about all the info a mechanical guy needs to build a small repair business.

rScotty
Decent eye hand coordination, Good strong hands and wrists don't hurt either along with a nice hot container for hydraulic oil to keep them warm

ps. bought the fancy seal installer for the glands but have not tried them yet.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #288  
The shop quoted me 3 hours for a cylinder rebuild.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #289  
The shop quoted me 3 hours for a cylinder rebuild.
On a backhoe cylinder I spent 3-4 hours. Ended up heating the barrel to unscrew the gland...... :(

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #290  
No need to replace a cylinder just because seals leak; only if the cylinder itself is damaged.
If I can buy an exact sized replacement for less money than it costs to have a professional install a seal kit, I'm buying the replacement.