The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price"

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #271  
Just remember that "Jeep" should be pronounced with the Hispanic pronunciation of the "J" sounding like an "H".

I have had 4 in my lifetime.

A '64 CJ5
A '75(or'76?) CJ7
A '90 Wrangler
And a 2000 Wrangler (after Chrysler wrecked them)

They got progressively more "sissyfied" over the years. The 2000 was for the wife. The new Chrysler engine (4.0L 6) was all top end, no bottom end grunt like the old Jeep 4.2L-6. They made the car wider, longer and heavier (by model year 2000), but at the same time, they made the brakes smaller.

That '64 would go anywhere. Should have kept it. Same with the '75, but by then you had to start ordering it with the "options" to do it. 90 was the last straw for me, every single useful offroad "thing" had to be ordered as an option. And the 2000, I told the wife to get a bunch of pink "Barbie" stickers and plaster the sides of it, so no one would ever think it may accidentally be an offroad vehicle.

Don't elk and deer hunt in the rough stuff anymore (in AZ), so no longer really need one. I'd still like to have my old '64 back. Or always liked the 3B's, just slightly modified from stock.

Anyway....
At one time I had 13 Jeeps. Now I've streamlined to 4. Every model change has been an improvement.

The 4.0L is a drastic improvement over the 4.2L. In fuel delivery alone. Very common to see 4.0L engines with 300K miles on them. I am running one with 256K miles on it without even having the valve cover removed. Hundreds of times in the rev limiter.

The YJ models were a big step up in offroad capability over the CJ. CJs were excellent in their day. Simply because there wasn't much alternatives. Once the YJ was introduced people started selling their CJs.

Then the TJ models were introduced, which is what your 2000 is. Another dramatic improvement over the YJs. Only similar feature was the name Jeep. Capability beyond the imagination of a CJ owner.

Now the JKs and JLs have again raised the bar. So far no offroad prowess has been lost with these model changes. The gain is you can stand to drive them long distance.

Wife and I went on a 2700 mile trip to Colorado and back this past Summer in our TJ. Top down the whole trip. Got rained on. Got snowed on. Highest elevation was 13,845ft. Only modifications are a slight lift and bigger tire.

The desire for the old Jeeps is nostalgic. I have a '72 Jeepster Commando. No way I would ever consider driving it on a 2700 mile trip. :)

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #272  
They got progressively more "sissyfied" over the years. The 2000 was for the wife. The new Chrysler engine (4.0L 6) was all top end, no bottom end grunt like the old Jeep 4.2L-6. They made the car wider, longer and heavier (by model year 2000), but at the same time, they made the brakes smaller.

You’re crazy. The straight 6 4.0l motor was the best motor ever put in a wrangler, that is until the 6.4. They were bullet proof. TJs with that motor still sell for a mint. And some more than their original sticker price, but Sticker was in 1990’s money…

An XJ with the 4.0L is the only reasonable purchase these days. They are about the same size a JLU actually. Without all the computer stuff of today they are a great option for anyone needing a reliable 4WD vehicle.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #273  
You’re crazy. The straight 6 4.0l motor was the best motor ever put in a wrangler, that is until the 6.4. They were bullet proof. TJs with that motor still sell for a mint. And some more than their original sticker price, but Sticker was in 1990’s money…

An XJ with the 4.0L is the only reasonable purchase these days. They are about the same size a JLU actually. Without all the computer stuff of today they are a great option for anyone needing a reliable 4WD vehicle.
Not too many years ago you could buy a running XJ 4.0L for $100. They aren't that cheap anymore but are still a bargain. My Son has two, one auto, one standard trans. He drives one or the other daily. Greatest SUV built. We've got a dozen or so in the bone yard for parts vehicles.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #276  
Shaking my head at you guys.

"Ok". Everybody has an opinion (like everyone has a belly button -"clean version")

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #277  
I had a bit of sticker shock on parts prices recently. A seal kit for my FEL cylinder was $140 at the local dealer. A new JD cylinder is running close to $1,400. I mean, seriously? I see aftermarket ones with the same bore and stroke selling for $220 new. I probably should have seen if I could just buy a whole new aftermarket cylinder and hit it with some green paint.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #278  
I had a bit of sticker shock on parts prices recently. A seal kit for my FEL cylinder was $140 at the local dealer. A new JD cylinder is running close to $1,400. I mean, seriously? I see aftermarket ones with the same bore and stroke selling for $220 new. I probably should have seen if I could just buy a whole new aftermarket cylinder and hit it with some green paint.
The best and cheapest option is to take the cylinder to a local hydraulic shop. They have seals that work and will expertly rebuild it. A local shop rebuilt a JD cylinder for me for $200, including parts.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #279  
The best and cheapest option is to take the cylinder to a local hydraulic shop. They have seals that work and will expertly rebuild it. A local shop rebuilt a JD cylinder for me for $200, including parts.
I tried that, and the shop told me they didn't have a seal kit. That's why I ended up buying the JD brand. Then I called them back and asked if they'd rebuild it since I bought the kit. They want $400 labor. I called another hydraulics shop and their minimum is $800. I will do it myself for those prices. I am going to look around and see if I can find a compatible brand new cylinder new, then I'll buy it and don't have to hurry the rebuild.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #280  
I tried that, and the shop told me they didn't have a seal kit. That's why I ended up buying the JD brand. Then I called them back and asked if they'd rebuild it since I bought the kit. They want $400 labor. I called another hydraulics shop and their minimum is $800. I will do it myself for those prices. I am going to look around and see if I can find a compatible brand new cylinder new, then I'll buy it and don't have to hurry the rebuild.
Wow, my local shop told me they could source seals for any cylinder. They did and had it done in 4 days for $200.