The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price"

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #291  
On a backhoe cylinder I spent 3-4 hours. Ended up heating the barrel to unscrew the gland...... :(
I felt like their 3 hours was a bit much for a professional. I've watched a couple videos and there's nothing technical about it that I cannot handle myself. But the equipment I have to use is a bit different than a shop. I'll have to use a vise, maybe a come along, etc.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #292  
If I can buy an exact sized replacement for less money than it costs to have a professional install a seal kit, I'm buying the replacement.
That’s certainly your choice. Probably have to order it and wait.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #293  
I felt like their 3 hours was a bit much for a professional. I've watched a couple videos and there's nothing technical about it that I cannot handle myself. But the equipment I have to use is a bit different than a shop. I'll have to use a vise, maybe a come along, etc.
On larger cylinders I just have them laying on the welding table. On one of my backhoe cylinders I left the barrel end fastened to the hoe. If small enough, I put them in a vise just so I don't have to chase them around.

Once you have it apart, things go pretty easy.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #294  
   / The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #295  
That’s certainly your choice. Probably have to order it and wait.
I dunno, I'll have to look around. I haven't even checked.

I have a little bit of experience with hydraulic cylinders, though, having replaced one on my dump trailer. It's giant. I upgraded to a larger cylinder than what the factory provided on the trailer. This cylinder makes my JD loader cylinder look like a Fischer Price toy. Yet it was 25% of the price JD is charging for a cylinder. That's why I replied to this thread. I love my tractor, but the parts prices leave me blushing.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price"
I had a bit of sticker shock on parts prices recently. A seal kit for my FEL cylinder was $140 at the local dealer. A new JD cylinder is running close to $1,400. I mean, seriously? I see aftermarket ones with the same bore and stroke selling for $220 new. I probably should have seen if I could just buy a whole new aftermarket cylinder and hit it with some green paint.

Having owned a few older Deere's, I've noticed the way their prices on parts begin to climb as the machine gets farther out of production. Parts on machines in current production are generally reasonable, but if you're buying for a machine that hasn't been made in 15 years (your 790 was build 2000 - 2007), the price goes up for each year out of production.

Makes sense, it's expensive to keep and move infrequently-used parts for old machine, for years on end. I'm just thrilled they still have the thing, when I need it.

That said, aftermarket is always an option. I went that direction with my last PTO clutch on the zero turn, since Deere recently doubled the price on that part.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #297  
Having owned a few older Deere's, I've noticed the way their prices on parts begin to climb as the machine gets farther out of production. Parts on machines in current production are generally reasonable, but if you're buying for a machine that hasn't been made in 15 years (your 790 was build 2000 - 2007), the price goes up for each year out of production.

Makes sense, it's expensive to keep and move infrequently-used parts for old machine, for years on end. I'm just thrilled they still have the thing, when I need it.

That said, aftermarket is always an option. I went that direction with my last PTO clutch on the zero turn, since Deere recently doubled the price on that part.

I'm not really sure what the business model is that makes a 1 3/4" bore hydraulic cylinder of less than 24" $1,400, but it sure isn't something I'm interested in - EVER. I thank the person who suggested Surplus Center, because I can upgrade both bucket cylinders to a 2" bore for $225 a piece. Replacing both cylinders with new for less than the price of rebuilding one seems a no-brainer. I may have to modify them a little, not sure. But at that price, it's worth it.

I'm not really sure what the business model is that makes a 1 3/4" bore hydraulic cylinder of less than 24" $1,400, but it sure isn't something I'm interested in - EVER. I thank the person who suggested Surplus Center, because I can upgrade both bucket cylinders to a 2" bore for $225 a piece. Replacing both cylinders with new for less than the price of rebuilding one seems a no-brainer. I may have to modify them a little, not sure. But at that price, it's worth it.
Yeah, like I said... aftermarket.

I'm not sure if it's an intentional push to encourage trade-in of older machines for new, or just simply reflects the costs of carrying old parts on machines seeing less-frequent turnover with time. If you think about the number of different machines Deere has made over the last several decades, it's not hard to imagine the costs of stocking every part for every old machine must be astronomical.

That said, a cylinder rebuild kit is a standard maintenance item, and cylinder parts are often shared between many different machines using the same diameter cylinder. Surprised those got so expensive.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #299  
Keep in mind that 1 3/4” bore is sized for the stress capability of your loader and compatible with the hydraulic pump capacity of your machine. Your upgrade may not work so well with your machine. Then again, it might be ok.

Keep in mind that 1 3/4” bore is sized for the stress capability of your loader and compatible with the hydraulic pump capacity of your machine. Your upgrade may not work so well with your machine. Then again, it might be ok.
Exactly. It will be slower, combined with higher probability of pin failure.

Here's one that fell thru the cracks, tho. Mower decks need occasional scaling or sandblasting, and repainting. You'd think Deere could package all of the warning and serpentine belt arrangement stickers into a single sticker pack for $25, but no... they have to make you order and charge you for each individual sticker on the effing mower deck. For all I know, Mahindra and Kioti could be even worse here, but I hadn't anticipated the most expensive part of a mower deck rehab to be the stupid warning and belt arrangement stickers.