The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #61  
Not being the farming type as I can barely grow weeds. I've never heard of a mole cricket but they sound nasty

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #62  
Dad and I thought we had found the solution to the mole cricket. We accidentally spilled some surfactant and used the water hose to dilute it down. All of a sudden I saw a bunch of mole crickets floating in the foam.

I started picking them up and piling them up on the driveway. It looked like the surfactant was killing them. So we proceeded to do another area and sure enough I picked up hundreds of them. So we moved to another spot and got set up and I looked over at my pile of crickets and they were all gone!

Turns out they would play possum and go back into the ground after a while. So we did another small area and I cut all of the crickets in half. That worked but sure was labor intensive. Lol

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor
Steep Ground!
Cut this place last week. Probably my steepest with a 15’ mower that we cut.

1685620744749.jpeg

When descending the hill, you feel like you are standing on the windshield.

1685620804398.jpeg

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #65  
Yeah, on the weed whackers, I keep hoping to find another option. They work, but my shoulders (specifically right shoulder) isn't what they once were and it takes a physical toll on me far out of proportion to the amount of work getting done.

I just haven't seen "the one" for an option I could go with.
I don't mow for a living but the push weed eater sure is easy to use around my pond.
Cub Cadet ST 100 Wheeled String Trimmer

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #66  
   / The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #67  
   / The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #68  
I've enjoyed reading this thread and am envious of your job. I look at tractor work as therapy.
I'll second that... Next week I have 24 hours of mowing to do... Therapy. Away from all the distractions of other life and focused only on "gitter dun!"

@Hay Dude , don't know if my hills are as steep as what you showed, but, I have a pretty steep 15 acre meadow to mow. There is one particular spot where if I am not gentle in my turn, I begin rolling over on my smaller machine. I keep my loader on and down to help with more weight out front as that brush hog on the back is a load.

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor
I've enjoyed reading this thread and am envious of your job. I look at tractor work as therapy.

Thanks! I will keep coming back and posting new updates.
Probably best to keep it like that. I agree that tractor work can be like therapy. You get to operate machinery in some pretty nice scenery.
However, when it becomes a paying job, with customers to deal with, deadlines, invoice collection, fuel and repair bills, it loses the therapeutic feeling and becomes more stressful.

I still like what I do, but the hay farming part is really tough. My guess is when I’m on my way out-probably to be replaced by someone from a different country or some kind of computerized robot, I will drop the hay farming part and only offer field mowing services. That might be a kind of nice way to enjoy it again.