The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor
Good maintenance and a nickle's worth of grease saves a lot of money and helps for many trouble free hours of work.
I have only replaced one $950 prop shaft on the CX-15. It’s about 7 years old and has earned me a lot of gross profit (I do about $40,000/yr in field mowing).….of course a tractor is required, too.…..
The paint looks excellent, it’s mechanically excellent and would sell for about 3/4 of what I paid for it if I sold it tomorrow
I still don‘t know why it broke. The U-joint just heated up and locked up on fire.

Been a great mower. John Deere makes great stuff. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
I’d own more Deere equipment if I could.

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #42  
Here are a couple of pictures of another little job I did yesterday, lady wanted a road/ right of way cleaned up so she can have a 40'x 14' building delivered and set up at the far end, I forgot to take a before picture but I did get these of the finished product.
20230207_114740 (2).jpg
20230207_114528 (1).jpg

Back at it today.
Ripped the lid off another cutting job. This one is about 60 acres in size and will take me about 2.5 days to complete. This field is about 2500 feet long. Wish they’d let me hay it.….

1675985195633.jpeg

Notice anything different in picture below?

1675985504793-jpeg.783256

Here’s an old rail line that once came into our town. It was a rail spur that came all the way from the Chester, PA waterfront via Aston, PA. It’s the one that was wiped out by Hurricane Agnes in ‘72. This stretch of the railroad is still in-tact and never flooded.

1675985354578.jpeg

Attachments

• 1675985504793.jpeg
    1675985504793.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 626
Last edited:
What is their reasoning for not? Just curious. Is it still owned by the RR?
There are walking trails around the meadows owned by the Conservancy and they want their fields to look like “natural meadows”, not hay fields.

Last edited:
"natural meadows" but they pay to have them mowed to create unnatural meadows :mad:
Yeas, it’s very strange. However, they give me other farmland to make hay off of, so I keep it zipped :censored:😇

Rumor has it there’s a few influential old ladies who like the tall native grasses to stand during the summer & fall. 🤷‍♂️

Well at least you can make a bit of money off what I consider to be blithering idiots.

You have to have the patience of Jobe to work with the these Conservancies.
The way I see it, I keep my opinions to myself and give them what they want. It’s their property and they do as they see fit.

One interesting thing is there’s another Conservancy who allows me to hay their lands 1 time per year, then pay me for a mowing in early-mid fall (see post #1).
I think this saves them money and keeps the invasives down, while returning some nutrients back to the soil.

Either way there is some money to be made and their vision of land stewardship is achieved.

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #50  
Boy, some of your pictures sure look familiar. I do a whole lot of hiking in and around White Clay Creek State Park and also Fair Hill Natural Resources Management Area. Also some in ChesLen, Stroud, Brandywine Creek State Park, Ridley Creek State Park, Goat Hill, Chrome Barren, and other areas along the PA/DE border or not far from it. Beautiful land around there!