The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work"

/ The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work" #71  
... I am NOT "The Engine Guy"
...The owner wants it done completely and correct. I volunteered to take the project. (not my best decision ever...lol)
For starters, let me say you are "the engine guy" in this scenario.

Former shop owner here, now a licensed general contractor. A lot of my work nowadays involves bailing out homeowners who thought they could be their own GC, or previously hired someone who was hopelessly unqualified to accept the responsibility of that role in their project, leaving them with a mess on their hands. In that latter case, we almost always end up tearing out the previous work and starting over. You probably see where this is headed.

There are so many red flags here from a professional engine builder's perspective that it's somewhat pointless to start enumerating them. The bottom line is you didn't, and cannot at this point deliver an engine "done completely and correct" without again completely rebuilding the engine.

When you deliver an engine to a machine shop, you must tell them precisely what to do. No reputable machine shop that I've ever used, and that's many, will "do whatever it needs" when you drop off an short block, unless they are being hired to fully perform the rebuild. One operation that was obviously neglected was boring and honing the block to accept oversized pistons. There's very little chance that a hard working tractor engine didn't require as much just from previous age/use wear, but it was certainly required on at least the one cylinder that had a bent rod, which would have caused excessive wear on one side of the cylinder bore making it oval, not round. Replacing the standard size pistons was a waste of money.

Did the engine assembler you hired Plastigage the rod and main journals to check the oil clearance? Probably not. Did you even fit oversize main bearing shells to match the .040 undersize crank?

This is a bad situation for you and your friend, hopefully you can salvage it. I'd recommend looking into buying a rebuilt engine with a warranty. Try JASPER Engines, Inc. The days of cost effectively rebuilding engines are long gone. Qualified machine shop work that's worth what you're going pay (a lot!) is hard to find these days, and usually already way over-subscribed taking care of the shops in the area.

Good luck.

Last edited:
   / The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work" #72  
Doesn't sound right to me, but I've never done it myself. Just watched videos of rebuilt other engines are they are looking for at least 40psi of oil at cranking speed before they'll turn the fuel on and try to start it.
I agree, those bores do not look ready for assembly. That does not explain the oil pressure.

/ The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work" #73  
This is a great thread.

/ The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work" #74  
The engine only has about 30 or 45 minutes of runtime on it right now and that is basically been slow and fast idle. It is boiling black oil out of the exhaust manifold that runs down the engine. He said since it is Florida that it is not necessary to put a thermostat in it. I noticed that it never warmed up more than 110 or 120°. I put the thermostat in it and let it warm up to normal operating temperatures. When it warms up to normal temperatures the low oil pressure alarm goes off when the idle goes below 1000 RPMs. This coincides with a manual oil pressure gauge that I put on the side of the engine. We trailered it over to his shop and he said that the oil pressure is normal that it should be about 10 psi per 1000 RPMs. So at 1000 RPMs an oil pressure of 10 psi would be OK. He suggested using Lucas oil treatment and thicker oil. It currently has 15 W 40 oil in it. In his defense he ran the tractor around the property for a short time while riding the brakes to put some stress on the engine and it did seem like it was smoking less. The oil pressure issue remains the same. So my question is what is a good oil pressure at an idle on a brand new engine. I understand that a new engine will smoke when it is first started. How much is too much how long before it should stop or go down to the minimum. I am certainly not an engine rebuilder but I have done everything on this tractor except for actually assembling the internals of the engine. I feel a little bit uncomfortable about putting a big bush hog on it and running it for a couple hours without checking with someone else to see how they feel. What do you think. Thanks for your time and attention. OK

Sorry I should have included that information from the beginning.
-Bored 040 over
-Machined Crank
-New Pistons all
-New Rods all (one was bent)
-New Rings
-New Injectors
-New Valves
-New Guides
-New Oil Pump
-New Cam Bearings
-Lifters looked perfect just cleaned
-Push rods checked and re-used
-New Idler timing Gear
-New Water Pump
-New Radiator

I dealt with the machine shop dropped and picked up. The machine shop got the Reliant rebuild kit and did the cam bearings, the rings were installed when I got the pistons in the boxes. They said everything was correct and ready for assembly. I have done mechanical work since I can remember and do pretty well on any project BUT, I wanted an experience builder to actually put it together. I have put engines together but I am NOT "The Engine Guy"

The guy that put the internals together came to my shop with his father and put it together. I had everything cleaned, labeled, and laid out on a table like a surgery before the doctor gets there. I watched them and waited on his every request (tools, bolts, supplies...etc). He seemed to know what he was doing. No big red flags on the build.
It sounds to me like they possibly did not De-Glaze the cylinders and you are left with a mess. An old timer I knew poured a bit of Baking Soda I believe, in the intake to help scour the Cylinder walls so the rings would seat. All tractors should have a Thermostat IMH, and driving around with the Brakes on tells me he had no idea of rebuilding an engine. A Diesel should have much higher Oil Pressure. 10 psi is NOT OK, at idle. Check the Crankcase Ventilation system to be sure it is venting (top of valve cover). Remove the oil Fill cap when it is at a fast idle to check for Blow-by. 40 weight oil for a Diesel is likely recommended. I hope the photo of the Cylinders was Before rebuild. It likely ran better then. The Owners/Operators Manual should specify correct Oil Pressure. If he didn't have a proper Ring Compressor, he may have broken one or more rings while installing Pistons. You have spent a ton of money on that Tractor and deserve much better.
I suspect that the new Crank Bearings were not oversized sufficient for the grind resulting in low Oil Pressure or some part was overlooked. You should have 25-40 PSI. Good Luck!

Last edited:
   / The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work" #75  
Burning oil is not an oil pressure (or lack of) problem. Basically you have two issues at hand......low oil pressure and burning oil.

Burning oil can either come from rings (not seated, improper gap, etc) or from valve seals. Compression and/or leak down test would be helpful.

The low oil pressure is likely bearing clearance issues.

I see that you mentioned you had the crank ground....but you never said how much? And I assume you got the appropriate bearings to match? But still need checked.

You referenced that you saw him check main bearings, and they were within the tolerance in the manual....but were they favoring the loose end of that tolerance? Because honestly....~10ish PSI of oil pressure at 800RPM is probably ALSO within the spec of the manual....just at the lower end.

While I am not gonna comment on the quality of machine work based on some photographs.....because pictures rarely represent reality.....there are several red flags as already mentioned. Like the no t-stat, and suggesting using snake oil as a fix. And not knowing the block specifically....0.040 over concerns me since you didnt mention anything about checking the cylinder wall thickness (ultrasonic).

Sadly....if it were mine I'd be tearing it apart and inspecting as I went....and see just what went wrong. I know everyone is suggesting the builder be the one to eat this, or figure out what the issue is....but I honestly wouldnt trust him at this point. Find another reputable builder and see what he determines/finds. And depending on what he finds would determine my next step as to recourse with the current builder.

/ The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work" #76  
The engine only has about 30 or 45 minutes of runtime on it right now and that is basically been slow and fast idle. It is boiling black oil out of the exhaust manifold that runs down the engine. He said since it is Florida that it is not necessary to put a thermostat in it. I noticed that it never warmed up more than 110 or 120°. I put the thermostat in it and let it warm up to normal operating temperatures. When it warms up to normal temperatures the low oil pressure alarm goes off when the idle goes below 1000 RPMs. This coincides with a manual oil pressure gauge that I put on the side of the engine. We trailered it over to his shop and he said that the oil pressure is normal that it should be about 10 psi per 1000 RPMs. So at 1000 RPMs an oil pressure of 10 psi would be OK. He suggested using Lucas oil treatment and thicker oil. It currently has 15 W 40 oil in it. In his defense he ran the tractor around the property for a short time while riding the brakes to put some stress on the engine and it did seem like it was smoking less. The oil pressure issue remains the same. So my question is what is a good oil pressure at an idle on a brand new engine. I understand that a new engine will smoke when it is first started. How much is too much how long before it should stop or go down to the minimum. I am certainly not an engine rebuilder but I have done everything on this tractor except for actually assembling the internals of the engine. I feel a little bit uncomfortable about putting a big bush hog on it and running it for a couple hours without checking with someone else to see how they feel. What do you think. Thanks for your time and attention. OK

-Bored 040 over
-Machined Crank
-New Pistons all
-New Rings
-New Injectors
-New Valves
-New Guides
-New Oil Pump
-New Cam Bearings
-New Idler timing Gear
-New Water Pump
-New Radiator

I dealt with the machine shop dropped and picked up. The machine shop got the Reliant rebuild kit and did the cam bearings, the rings were installed when I got the pistons in the boxes. They said everything was correct and ready for assembly. I have done mechanical work since I can remember and do pretty well on any project BUT, I wanted an experience builder to actually put it together. I have put engines together but I am NOT "The Engine Guy"

The guy that put the internals together came to my shop with his father and put it together. I had everything cleaned, labeled, and laid out on a table like a surgery before the doctor gets there. I watched them and waited on his every request (tools, bolts, supplies...etc). He seemed to know what he was doing. No big red flags on the build.

/ The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work" #77  
When you deliver an engine to a machine shop, you must tell them precisely what to do. No reputable machine shop that I've ever used, and that's many, will "do whatever it needs" when you drop off an short block, unless they are being hired to fully perform the rebuild.
I gotta disagree unless I misunderstand. But that is exactly what I have always done....

Drop off a scored crank.....I have no idea if it needs .005, .010, .020, etc.....I dont wanna jump right to .020 if .010 will clean it up. But also dont wanna say .010 if it leaves scoring.

Same for cylinder walls, head and block deck.

Take just what it needs to clean up.....then next common increment for parts. (IE....takes 0.017 to clean cylinder.....go .020 over).

Don't order rotating assembly parts til after machine work is done so I know what size (over/under) to order parts

/ The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work" #78  

-Bored 040 over
-Machined Crank
-New Pistons all
-New Rings
-New Injectors
-New Valves
-New Guides
-New Oil Pump
-New Cam Bearings
-New Idler timing Gear
-New Water Pump
-New Radiator

The thermostat is helping to control the flow of coolant through the radiator. If coolant flows through too fast the coolant doesn't have time to stay in the radiator long enough to cool. It not only regulates temperature, but also regulates flow. The engine needs to be hot enough to burn the fuel, the thermostat does play a part in this process.

/ The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work" #79  
Did they bother to check bearing clearances or did they just put the bearings in the saddles and drop the crank in? I'm betting the clearances are to big, Cam bearing clearances that are to big will cause low oil oil pressure too. As far as smoking goes most modern day rings break in pretty quick unless they are chrome either they finish honed the cylinders wrong or your builder broke a ring or didn't stager the gaps like they should have. Do a leak down test or compression test. Leak down will tell you more.

/ The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work" #80  

-Bored 040 over
-Machined Crank
-New Pistons all
-New Rings
-New Injectors
-New Valves
-New Guides
-New Oil Pump
-New Cam Bearings
-New Idler timing Gear
-New Water Pump
-New Radiator

Did you plastagauged the main and rod bearings ?? 10 psi oil pressure on engine idle is a little to low. Of course thicker oil is gonna give you a little higher pressure. The red flag for me was the therstat conversation. Cooler engines have a little higher pressure if keep them on the cool side. Being able to put an engine together doesn't necessarily make one a mechanic !