Terminology Question

/ Terminology Question #1  

KennyG

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I think this may be the best place for this question.

Our new place has a 40x48 pole barn. It's caused a conflict between my wife and me (both grew up on farms).

She says it's a "barn" because, after all, it's a pole barn.

I can't help calling it a "shed" because where I grew up, barns had lofts and were filled with livestock. We stored equipment in sheds, even if they were "pole barn" construction.

She says a shed is a falling down structure used to store junk and tools.

Is this a regional thing? (in addition to being a silly thing to argue about)

/ Terminology Question #2  
I've always gone by the roof. If the roof slants in just one direction- it is a shed roof, making it a shed. If it slants two ways it is not a shed and can be a barn!

/ Terminology Question #3  
We've got both a pole barn and a metal building. I call the pole barn a "barn" because it was used by the previous owner for horses and I just store stuff in it.

The metal building is a "shop" because it is my workshop (in addition to being used for storage).

One thing they have in common is that neither is large enough...

/ Terminology Question #4  
Might be advisable to let the wife win this one . Its important to choose the hill for which you are willing to risk death.

/ Terminology Question #6  
You have to hold your ground on this one. Around where I live they are pole sheds. I googled "Pole shed" and a wood framed structure with metal siding and metal roof came up. But then later on it called it a Pole Barn in a different article. Maybe it's a regional thing like you said. Pole shed is already engrained in your head so anytime you say pole barn it will bug you. At least it does me, but I get bothered easy.:laughing:

/ Terminology Question #7  
I agree with Sailorman, pick your battles wisely. No matter what you call it, she is still right...
David from jax

/ Terminology Question #8  
From the Free Dictionary -- a barn is
1. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Agriculture) a large farm outbuilding, used chiefly for storing hay, grain, etc., but also for housing livestock
2. (Transport / Railways) US and Canadian a large shed for sheltering railroad cars, trucks, etc.
3. any large building, esp an unattractive one
4. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Agriculture) (modifier) relating to a system of poultry farming in which birds are allowed to move freely within a barn barn eggs
A shed is
1. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Architecture) a small building or lean-to of light construction, used for storage, shelter, etc.
2. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Architecture) a large roofed structure, esp one with open sides, used for storage, repairing locomotives, sheepshearing, etc.
3. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Architecture) (Business / Commerce) a large retail outlet in the style of a warehouse
I would say you have a barn according to the above - JMHO:eek: --- and calling it such is way cheaper and easier than divorce (don't ask me how I know)

/ Terminology Question #9  
compromise and call it an "outbuilding"
IMO, it all depends on what is on the inside and the size of the doors.

/ Terminology Question #10  
I've always gone by the roof. If the roof slants in just one direction- it is a shed roof, making it a shed. If it slants two ways it is not a shed and can be a barn!

I had never pondered this question before, but I agree with this answer :thumbsup:

To add to the confusion, I had a pole barn (roof slants 2 ways :), & has gable ends BTW) & then enclosed it by attaching plywood to the poles ... at which time it became just a "barn" ... or, since we're in an urban setting, sometimes a "garage" or "detached garage" :laughing: