Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,161  
Back around 2000 I was working in New York, before prepaid pumps came into vogue. There was a convenience store chain down there (Stewart's Shops?) which offered free ATM service from a terminal next to the register.
I was 100 miles from my motel after a long day, and was trying to outrun a major snowstorm when I stopped for gas, then tried to use the terminal to get some cash.
Transaction denied... WTF?
Now I'm 100 miles from anywhere I know, their gas in my truck and my card doesn't work.
Luckily it went through as a point of sale transaction and I was on my way.
Ever since then I've always made sure I had enough cash in pocket to cover any CC sale.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,162  
Now I wonder if they tell them to carry a portable charger with appropriate cables?
I have a portable booster pack which works well for my iPhone... it's rather handy when using mapping software on a cold day. Not so much with my Samsung, which has a sucky battery. It also has proprietary charge cables which won't plug into a standard USB.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,163  
California has implemented a $20 hr minimum wage for fast food workers. Ironically employers are laying off workers to compensate for the increase cost. So the very person the govt is trying to help just lost their job due to the govt intervention.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,164  
California has implemented a $20 hr minimum wage for fast food workers. Ironically employers are laying off workers to compensate for the increase cost. So the very person the govt is trying to help just lost their job due to the govt intervention.
I don't know about anybody else, but I find myself eating out less and less frequently as prices keep going up. It wasn't uncommon to stop and get a hamburg slice of pizza to tie me over until I got home. Now a burger and fries is a ten dollar bill, while they want 3-5 bucks for slice of pizza I'd be ashamed to sell if I ran the store. I did buy a slice of pepperoni pizza this week... she didn't say anything when I went to the counter with 2 napkins on top trying to sop up the grease.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,165  
I always thought the reason large bills were discontinued was to make it more difficult to transport large sums of cash - Make it more bulky for drug dealers, hijackers, kidnappers, etc.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #8,166  
I don't know about anybody else, but I find myself eating out less and less frequently as prices keep going up. It wasn't uncommon to stop and get a hamburg slice of pizza to tie me over until I got home. Now a burger and fries is a ten dollar bill, while they want 3-5 bucks for slice of pizza I'd be ashamed to sell if I ran the store. I did buy a slice of pepperoni pizza this week... she didn't say anything when I went to the counter with 2 napkins on top trying to sop up the grease.
Price hikes and layoffs will be the norm. Big minimum wage hikes are not the solution. I stopped eating out all together. Used to spend $200 a month eating out - now that is added grocery money.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,167  
Price hikes and layoffs will be the norm. Big minimum wage hikes are not the solution. I stopped eating out all together. Used to spend $200 a month eating out - now that is added grocery money.
I used to enjoy going out for breakfast on Sunday morning. The last time I went it killed a 20 dollar bill... I can buy a lot of bacon, eggs and bread for that.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,168  
Up reading late last night on the googler I was kind of surprised at all the bridge collisions from ships and barges occasionally resulting in catastrophic bridge failure over the last few decades. Quite a bit of speculation what ultimately caused the accident yesterday, Probably a culmination of a few things imo.
Like tornadoes and mobile homes, there is some kind of attraction.

Bruce

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,169  
Like tornadoes and mobile homes, there is some kind of attraction.

Bruce
Some bridge supports have under water guard rails, for lack of a better term, which divert any ship about to impact the structure. I'm pretty sure something like this will be implemented when the dridge is reconstructed.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,170  
Some bridge supports have under water guard rails, for lack of a better term, which divert any ship about to impact the structure. I'm pretty sure something like this will be implemented when the dridge is reconstructed.
And large flows of ice I presume?