Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,022  
The Titanic engines provided about 5.6 times the thrust of the 777 engine. ;)

Here's a really good explaination...

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,023  
The Titanic engines provided about 5.6 times the thrust of the 777 engine. ;)

Here's a really good explanation...

That's one of the best, and most succinct, explanations that I have ever seen for HP, thrust, torque, and force!

Thanks for sharing it.

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,024  
That's one of the best, and most succinct, explanations that I have ever seen for HP, thrust, torque, and force!

Thanks for sharing it.

All the best,

Peter
Thanks! I found it 10 minutes ago. :ROFLMAO:

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,025  
I'm saving it. I have tried more than a few times to help folks understand torque and HP, and I'm never doing all that well at it.

A lot of folks around me seem to have trouble wrapping their minds around understanding the torque on most EVs is 100% at a standstill, and with no gears, full torque is available at all speeds. All of which dramatically changes acceleration (torque), whereas HP just overcomes drag at speed. Ditto for using diesels instead of gasoline engines in manual transmissions, and that automatic transmissions help change the applied torque further complicating things.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the 787 and 777 engines are amazing, and huge!
aOYYQYr_700b.jpg

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,026  
Like that article showed, a CatD8 only has about 350 horse power while an F1 race car has 1000 horse power. Which one pushes dirt better and which one goes 200mph+?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,027  
Way back when, I used to use a photo of a Ferrari that someone attempted to drive off the beaten track,
well ok, off a smoothly paved road,
well ok, twist my arm, they actually went driving cross country, apparently at Ferrari speeds, and
well ok, perhaps they weren't experienced off road drivers.

Let's just say from the photo it was questionable whether there was any salvage value left of the vehicle. What remained was a crushed, dirt filled, piece of scrap. Any 4x4 would have been a better choice. I used to use it as an illustration for "horse for courses", and using the right tool for the job. Always got a laugh.

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,028  
Today I bought a new plug-in receptacle tester with GFCI test, which my old one didn't have.

Reading the instructions, i found that the tester has an altitude limit of a little over 6,500 feet.

1710997260245.jpeg

???

Bruce

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,030  
At higher altitudes, the air density decreases, resulting in lower dielectric strength. This reduction in dielectric strength can lead to insulation breakdown in electrical equipment.