Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,011  
Great! I knew that they were working on creating hybrids which are resistant while still maintaining as much of the genetics as they could but this is the closest I've seen yet. These could be used to replace the ash on Main Street which have been killed by the borer.
20 years ago when I came to work for my current employer, we managed one of the last naturally occurring chestnut stands on the east coast. I don't know if they were naturally resistant or just isolated enough to avoid the disease. That tract of land has since been sold to a conservation group.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,012  
Nandi Bushell is a 13 year old drummer. She's never heard Twisted Sister's We're Not Gonna Take It before. They play her the song with the drum track removed, and ask her to make up her own drum track. See what she comes up with. Amazing kid! I've been watching her for a few years.

Kinda like comparing Simon Philips to Gene Krupa, or later, Mike Mangini against Neal Peart. All great drummers, top of their respective generation(s), but each generation takes what the prior did and then pushes it a bit farther. This girl is pretty good for age 13, well on her way toward a good career in drumming, if she chooses.

Coincidentally, I remember learning that same song, imitating the original, when it was freshly released and I was a 10 year old drummer. Pretty easy tune, the way AJ Pero played it.

You should give Sina a listen.
She has quite a repertoire, and I love that she was playing classic stuff from the 60's - 80's as a young teen. She must have a parent who was very into music, to have gotten her started on that older material.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,013  
Great! I knew that they were working on creating hybrids which are resistant while still maintaining as much of the genetics as they could but this is the closest I've seen yet. These could be used to replace the ash on Main Street which have been killed by the borer.
That's exactly why I was looking up stuff on the Chestnut, when I came across this video. There's an old saying that, in the time it takes an Ash to grow a baseball bat, a Chestnut could grow a dresser.

Coincidentally, I've also been planting Princeton Elms the last ten years, and they've been growing faster than anything else on my property. Some I planted as 8-footers in 2020 are already around 30 feet tall, thanks to careful irrigation and fertilization.

20 years ago when I came to work for my current employer, we managed one of the last naturally occurring chestnut stands on the east coast. I don't know if they were naturally resistant or just isolated enough to avoid the disease. That tract of land has since been sold to a conservation group.
I've heard that the blight does not actually kill the Chestnut, the roots and stumps are still alive underground, even after many years/decades. But all above ground growth dies back, due to the blight.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,014  
From this it didn't work out as well as expected,

History​

In 2013, reported initial experiments to introduce wheat OxO into American chestnuts. Potted transgenic plants with two different promoters (35S, VspB) were created. OxO levels are measured out of the plant leaves. Infection experiments on cut leaves show that the lesion sizes can be reduced to around or below the level of the blight-resistant Chinese chestnut, suggesting that the potted plant may be resistant too.[11][12]

In 2014, SUNY ESF reported that the "Darling4" transgenic event produced an intermediate level of resistance between American and Chinese chestnuts. The trait was also passed into progeny.[8][13]

The Darling 58 (SX58) line was produced before 2016. A 2020 SUNY-ESF Masters thesis shows that Darling 58 is the transgenic event that produces the highest amount of OxO.[7]

In January 2020, the researchers submitted a deregulation petition for the Darling 58 variant, with a public comment period ending October 19, 2020.[14][15]

In November 2022, the USDA began another public comment period for Darling 58's approval.[16]

In 2022, SUNY-ESF scientists reported that a different promoter, win3.12 from the eastern cottonwood, allows the expression levels of OxO to remain low in basal conditions, but increase under wound or infection. This modification is expected to be more metabolically efficient compared to the "always-on" CAMV promoter and thereby have greater transgene stability over successive generations compared with the Darling 58 variant. In laboratory bioassays, win3.12-OxO lines showed elevated disease tolerance similar to that exhibited by blight-resistant Chinese chestnut.[17]

In December 2023, the TACF announced that they were discontinuing development of the Darling 58 due to poor performance results.[18] The SUNY ESF is continuing to seek federal approval to distribute seeds to the public without the support of the TACF.[19]

This is from here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darling_58

And from the American Chestnut Foundation; why darling 58 has failed :(
Darling 58 | The American Chestnut Foundation

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,015  
From this it didn't work out as well as expected,

History​

In 2013, reported initial experiments to introduce wheat OxO into American chestnuts. Potted transgenic plants with two different promoters (35S, VspB) were created. OxO levels are measured out of the plant leaves. Infection experiments on cut leaves show that the lesion sizes can be reduced to around or below the level of the blight-resistant Chinese chestnut, suggesting that the potted plant may be resistant too.[11][12]

In 2014, SUNY ESF reported that the "Darling4" transgenic event produced an intermediate level of resistance between American and Chinese chestnuts. The trait was also passed into progeny.[8][13]

The Darling 58 (SX58) line was produced before 2016. A 2020 SUNY-ESF Masters thesis shows that Darling 58 is the transgenic event that produces the highest amount of OxO.[7]

In January 2020, the researchers submitted a deregulation petition for the Darling 58 variant, with a public comment period ending October 19, 2020.[14][15]

In November 2022, the USDA began another public comment period for Darling 58's approval.[16]

In 2022, SUNY-ESF scientists reported that a different promoter, win3.12 from the eastern cottonwood, allows the expression levels of OxO to remain low in basal conditions, but increase under wound or infection. This modification is expected to be more metabolically efficient compared to the "always-on" CAMV promoter and thereby have greater transgene stability over successive generations compared with the Darling 58 variant. In laboratory bioassays, win3.12-OxO lines showed elevated disease tolerance similar to that exhibited by blight-resistant Chinese chestnut.[17]

In December 2023, the TACF announced that they were discontinuing development of the Darling 58 due to poor performance results.[18] The SUNY ESF is continuing to seek federal approval to distribute seeds to the public without the support of the TACF.[19]

This is from here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darling_58

And from the American Chestnut Foundation; why darling 58 has failed :(
Darling 58 | The American Chestnut Foundation
Damn. Didn't want to "like" the post, due to bad news, but this was very good info, Lou! Thanks for posting it.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,016  
Damn. Didn't want to "like" the post, due to bad news, but this was very good info, Lou! Thanks for posting it.
Ditto here. Mind, I didn't understand a word it was saying, but the gist was that the results weren't as hoped and the Chestnut Society no longer supports the work.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,017  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #8,018  
There is a commercial grove near us that has survived due to its isolation. The chestnuts are much, much higher quality than the Asian chestnuts that are part of many of the hybrids.

A relative is involved with some conservation driven replanting attempts in New England, and none of the hybrids so have made it over six feet in height before succumbing to the blight. They are still planting...

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,019  
There is a place about 15 miles from me that just couple of years ago put in probably 20 acres of trees with pvc columns. Never heard much about it but did hear it was something being funded with someone elses money.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,020  
IMG_1080.jpeg