Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,881  
The horse debate has brought back a memory or misremembering that I've had for a long time. Back around 1957 when I was in first grade, I remember the teacher telling us about a population of tiny horses being found in the Grand Canyon. Do any of you other old guys remember such a discovery?
Do you mean this?

The official report to the National Park, written by Naturalist McKee, states:

1. The size of the horses of this area has been greatly reduced in statements given out concerning the area.
  2. The canyon blocked off by landslides in which pygmy horses are supposed to have evolved is a myth.
  3. The small horses of the area are the normal results of the environment and are not confined to any one limited area or physical barriers.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,882  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #7,883  
Thanks for last few posts about Grand Canyon horses!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,884  
Jstpssng and ultrarunner

Thank you both. I have no doubt that these were the tiny horses my teacher was talking about. She probably caught wind of Tooker's horses/ponies and passed it along to the class.

To further impress the story on my mind, it was at the height of the Shetland pony craze and a natural leader in my first grade class had a father who was in the Shetland pony business. Possibly by coincidence, their family had taken a trip to the Grand canyon and put on a slide show documenting it.

The boy always could tell an excellent story and went on to be captain of the football team and president of the student body.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #7,885  
Thanks for last few posts about Grand Canyon horses!
Another thing I think I remember is a few episodes of some cartoon show about a tiny horse that I thought was based on the ones in the Grand Canyon. 1957 was a long time ago and I have trouble what happened yesterday.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,886  
How many domesticated and tame horses would tolerate a stranger measuring them head to tail? And then, yes, how many would do it without being restrained? By a stranger?
tumblr_inline_p0lo1nrquQ1r4zr0j_1280.jpg

Can I just shed a little doubt on the photo being a real photo of a feral horse in the bottom of the Grand Canyon, for those and other reasons, e.g. the halter?

Just an amateur here...

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #7,887  
Another thing I think I remember is a few episodes of some cartoon show about a tiny horse that I thought was based on the ones in the Grand Canyon. 1957 was a long time ago and I have trouble what happened yesterday.
I don't believe it. The episode is on YouTube. It's a two parter called, "Scary Tale on a Canyon Trail" and was on the Ruff N Reddy cartoon show.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #7,889  
How many domesticated and tame horses would tolerate a stranger measuring them head to tail? And then, yes, how many would do it without being restrained? By a stranger?
tumblr_inline_p0lo1nrquQ1r4zr0j_1280.jpg

Can I just shed a little doubt on the photo being a real photo of a feral horse in the bottom of the Grand Canyon, for those and other reasons, e.g. the halter?

Just an amateur here...

All the best,

Peter
Perhaps hunger?

Looks malnourished and I'm certain in today's world would warrant a full investigation by the authorities...

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,890  
Perhaps hunger?

Looks malnourished and I'm certain in today's world would warrant a full investigation by the authorities...
I'm not a professional, but I highly doubt it.

Hungry doesn't mean not skittish. Starving? Yes at some point, but they usually don't have their head up that far, and it would be really, really fool hardy (in my opinion) to lean over a wild animal, predator like, as the person is doing in the photo. That's just asking for trouble. He also has his left foot where it would be trivial for the horse to step/stomp on it. Yet, none of the four humans seem concerned. Two of them are squatting where they would get hit by a bolting horse. I'd be concerned at having to recapture the horse, even if it was domesticated.

In my opinion that is a highly domesticated equine, in terrible body condition.

Check out youtube sometime for what it takes to put a halter on a feral mustang by people who do it for a living.

I have had to find / rescue lost domesticated horses more than once, and the only one that was calm was a horse that did know me, but she was hiding under an oak tree and didn't make a sound or approach us as we were tracking her. I was watching the tracks, and my horse spotted her hiding.

So, yes, I don't believe for a second that that photo matches the story.

All the best,

Peter