Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,901  
There's always protonmail.
Or, run your own server (great until it's hacked).

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,902  
There's always protonmail.
Or, run your own server (great until it's hacked).
Does the free version of this work with older, less secure email clients? I have equipment at client sites that were programmed to send emails in the event of an alarm condition. Alas, all that stopped working a couple years ago when gmail, etc. went to a new protocol that isn't compatible with this equipment. So far, any workarounds I've tried haven't worked.
I know hmail will work, but these sites are scattered around different locations, and I really don't want to open up ports at a central location so they all can access it.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,903  
wait so are we for wind power now? I thought we were against it a couple posts ago, but if TEXAS is doing good with it, it must be good right?
In recent years Texas has had power grid problems worthy of the idiocy of California.

May have the capacity but doesn't have the storage to get them through the lulls.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,904  
Their bigger problem is that they don't connect to the grid outside of Texas.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,906  
Does the free version of this work with older, less secure email clients? I have equipment at client sites that were programmed to send emails in the event of an alarm condition. Alas, all that stopped working a couple years ago when gmail, etc. went to a new protocol that isn't compatible with this equipment. So far, any workarounds I've tried haven't worked.
I know hmail will work, but these sites are scattered around different locations, and I really don't want to open up ports at a central location so they all can access it.
all email is not-secure, unless encrypted. So don't worry about it, and don't put any sensitive info in an un-encrypted attachment.

The primary difference with gmail and other free mail servers is that while anyone can intercept your email on a paid service, those offering mail for free are actively aggregating and selling your personal data, often with personal identifiers attached. Big difference, between being the potential subject of a random individual sniffing packets, versus having your host actively selling every bit of data you provide to them.

When I was finishing my first degree (BS in computer engineering), part of our senior sequence work was setting up Ethereal to sniff out packets on the university network. It was interesting to learn how we could just watch everyone else's email, across the university net, including that of our professors and admin.

My final exam in one of those courses was writing my own email server and client software. I think it used POP3 at the time, which is still used today, although proliferation of smart phones has pushed most to IMAP for personal mail over the last 15 years.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,907  
I worked in NYC on NYE 2000, we got passes to walk past the police lines in Times Square and they had a mini-celebration for each timezone/country starting with Tonga.
Long night, but we went out to see the ball drop for a sec and the celebrations in many places including France and UK on the big screens around times square.
Without having to stand out in the cold for a dozen hours.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,908  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,909  
Ford Flivver:
Bruce
Ford aviation did build some noteworthy aircraft such as the Ford Trimotor with decades in service at some of the remotest corners of the world.

I was in one once and there to see it taxi and lift off… seemed to be airborne in a few feet of roll.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,910  
My mother is 97. Born in Syracuse, lived in Philadelphia as a child and moved to Virginia in 1938. She remembers Autogyros flying around Philadelphia and shown here in 1948 Virginia with a Taylorcraft, canvas covered with Lycoming engine (68hp I believe).
She had a Cushman scooter and Crosley car, neither designed for our many hills!
Ironically my grandparents first rented a house a few doors down from my in-laws and my fireman father in law would help push her Cushman or Crosley uphill in front of the firestation years before either my wife or I was even born!
2024_01_06_14.33.19.jpg
2024_01_06_14.20.15.jpg