Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,521  
I'm getting used to it... kicking and screaming while dragged into the present. 🙃

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,522  
Operating controls while driving should be intuitive. You should be able to work the defrost or change the radio without taking your eyes off the road.

My Colorado has real knobs to turn on the defroster but it can take up to 30 seconds for it to turn on. That's a long time when doing 50 down the highway.
Our 2020 Outback has physical buttons for front defroster, heat up and heat down on the left of the touchscreen, as well one for front/rear/mirrors, heat up and heat down on the left of the touchscreen. Physical buttons for radio volume and radio frequency on the left and right of the touchscreen as well.

Also buttons on the steering wheel for radio controls.

Pretty easy to feel for everything without taking your eyes off the road.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,523  
I hate those touch screens that have the heat/ac controls on them. I like being able to reach over to the dial, adjust it and not watch which screen is popping up to find the controls. Jon
Our Outback has physical buttons for the important stuff. See above.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,524  
it seem like many manufacturers are finally moving away from touch screen for everything I am starting to see knobs doing a comeback, can’t used a phone while driving but you need to hit a three step menue on a flat screen to change the car temperature or switch a radio station go figure.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,525  
Our 2020 Outback has physical buttons for front defroster, heat up and heat down on the left of the touchscreen, as well one for front/rear/mirrors, heat up and heat down on the left of the touchscreen. Physical buttons for radio volume and radio frequency on the left and right of the touchscreen as well.

Also buttons on the steering wheel for radio controls.

Pretty easy to feel for everything without taking your eyes off the road.
As does my 2019 Acadia. There are controls on the back of the steering wheel to control the stereo, though it's a bit easy to bump the tuning control when making a sharp turn, parallel parking, etc.

One odd feature is that occasionally a message will pop up on the screen reminding you to keep your eyes on the road or something like that. It MUST be acknowledged, it will not time out by itself. :rolleyes:
All in all though ergonomics were pretty well thought out.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,526  
The planes region became our breadbasket not because it had better land or environment, in fact quite the opposite, but because the cost of land was between "free" and "cheap", by comparison to better growing environments "back east". We've succeeded in building cities over much of our most profitable growing land.
Not at all true. The "plains" became well noted for their fine soils and very arable land and it is much preferred by some crops because of the dryer climate, i.e wheat doesn't have as much fungal problem, flax grows stronger nad more fibrous, sunflowers get a stronger stalk and stand up better, etc. and I have seen 200 bu corn yields on dryland corn in north central South Dakota.

The Red River Valley has soils that are probably some of the best in the world and if you want good potatoes don't go to the oversold Idahoans. Certain places in South Dakota that do have sandier soils are well known for melons that ship far and wide and South Dakota sweet clover honey is nationally famous for its light sweet flavor.

I am not putting down any soils or climates in the Iowa, Michigan, Ohio, western Kentucky, or any other state. I am just saying that there are some things the climate in the plains that are better for some things.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,527  
The "plains" became well noted for their fine soils and very arable land and it is much preferred by some crops because of the dryer climate
lg9Kbmx.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,528  
Not at all true. The "plains" became well noted for their fine soils and very arable land and it is much preferred by some crops because of the dryer climate, i.e wheat doesn't have as much fungal problem, flax grows stronger nad more fibrous, sunflowers get a stronger stalk and stand up better, etc. and I have seen 200 bu corn yields on dryland corn in north central South Dakota.

The Red River Valley has soils that are probably some of the best in the world and if you want good potatoes don't go to the oversold Idahoans. Certain places in South Dakota that do have sandier soils are well known for melons that ship far and wide and South Dakota sweet clover honey is nationally famous for its light sweet flavor.

I am not putting down any soils or climates in the Iowa, Michigan, Ohio, western Kentucky, or any other state. I am just saying that there are some things the climate in the plains that are better for some things.
They are both very fertile land, the land around the great lakes is one of the most fertile soil due to the rich glacial deposits plus you have abundant rainfall it significantly contributor to the fertility of the land, that soil and climate is great for fruits, vegetables, and grains. On the other hand the prairies soil (chernozem) is rich in organic matter and minerals combine with a semi-arid climates it is great for wheat, barley, canola, and other cereal crops.

Overall, both regions have exceptionally fertile soil, but they each have unique characteristics and strengths that contribute to agriculture in they own ways.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #8,529  
Ah, but nobody can grow rocks the way that we do here in New England! I see pictures here of some of you working that nice, deep black soil and I can understand why so many farms were abandoned to go west. I went out in my garden this morning to heel in some fruit trees until I have time to plant them. I didn't even go down the length of my shovel blade before hitting orange dirt.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,530  
Ah, but nobody can grow rocks the way that we do here in New England! I see pictures here of some of you working that nice, deep black soil and I can understand why so many farms were abandoned to go west. I went out in my garden this morning to heel in some fruit trees until I have time to plant them. I didn't even go down the length of my shovel blade before hitting orange dirt.
Although I am not so sure. I remember in the 70's when farmers in North Dakota were beraking up sod to farm and the first operation was hiring somebody with a bulldozer with 12" teeth spaced about 12" apart on the bottom of the blade go over every inch land to roll the rocks out. Then came rock windrowers to put the all in a row so construction type gravel loaders (conveyor type elevators) could come along and pick up the rocks and dump them into trucks to get them off of the fields. Then the farm implements would come in. There would be many more rock windrower passes and before anything was ever planted.