Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,801  
So around $200,000 worth of gold. Figuring 10 cubic inches to a fist full.
And a cubic foot of gold weighs 1200 lbs.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,802  
This is informative, but way too funny

sea cucumbers! Who would have thought?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,803  
Hummingbirds return to the same yards every year.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,804  
We get the same ones, they actually show up at our side door to remind us to put the feeder out and circle where the feeder is normally located. They also remind me to fill when empty.
Only times they show up at side door.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,805  
We get the same ones, they actually show up at our side door to remind us to put the feeder out and circle where the feeder is normally located. They also remind me to fill when empty.
Only times they show up at side door.
Amazing. We never paid much attention until one year when birds were looking for a feeder in an alcove where we had placed one the prior year--but not this year. The only way they could have known was by one of them being there the prior year.

Over time, we have recognized different colored or oddly marked birds from one year to the next. Considering they winter a couple thousand miles away, that's remarkable.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,806  
Our ones we fed all summer left now ones probably from north headed south. They spend lots of time fighting each other. We put up three feeders so when they fight one goes to other side of house out of site!
Maybe one day out military will develop a jet that can do those stunts they do! Amazing!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,807  
I got my wife a hummer cam so she can enjoy watching them. I think she said they've now left for the winter.

IMG_8751.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,808  
I read the words before scrolling to the pic, I was disappointed... 😰

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,809  
The difference in the weight of a Tesla EV with a fully discharged battery and with it's battery fully charged is 4/1,000,000 of a gram.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,810  
Top Fuel Drag Racing Facts

* One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic-inch Hemi engine
makes more horsepower (8,000 HP) than the first 4 rows of cars at the Daytona 500.

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes
11.2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747. (Note: This is incorrect) consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

* A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce
enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger.

* With 3000 CFS of air being rammed in by the
supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for
nitro methane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

* Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular
white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed
during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

* Dragsters reach over 300 MPH before you have
completed reading this sentence.

* In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8 G's.

* Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540
revolutions from light to light!

* Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

* The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM.

* THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, & for once, NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000 per second.

0 to 100 MPH in .8 seconds (the first 60 feet of the run)

0 to 200 MPH in 2.2 seconds (the first 350 feet of the run) 6 g-forces at the starting line (nothing accelerates faster on land)

6 negative g-forces upon deployment of twin ‘chutes at 300 MPH

An NHRA Top Fuel Dragster accelerates quicker than any other land vehicle on earth quicker than a jet fighter plane . . . quicker than the space shuttle.

Last edited: