TD7E Rebuild Project

/ TD7E Rebuild Project
On your dozer does the gear box and transmission share the same reservoir?

The transmission, "differential", and steering system are in the same reservoir but the final drives have separate reservoirs on each side.

/ TD7E Rebuild Project #22  
That makes sense. To me those look like the rivets that secure either the clutch or break hub to there disc. Mine on one side were really loose and you could move the disc on the hub. I ended up replacing all the discs
along with everything else in the gear box. It痴 good to check everything in there once and awhile because the planetary gears can come loose and destroy all the gears connected.

/ TD7E Rebuild Project
That makes sense. To me those look like the rivets that secure either the clutch or break hub to there disc. Mine on one side were really loose and you could move the disc on the hub. I ended up replacing all the discs
along with everything else in the gear box. Itç—´ good to check everything in there once and awhile because the planetary gears can come loose and destroy all the gears connected.

That is exactly what I was thinking when I first saw them, I looked through the parts manual and those are the only parts that I can find that have rivets. I see from your writeup that it is good to take a look every now and then, that sounds like it was probably an expensive issue. I am going to drain the fluid and take a look through the inspection cover but first I am going to turn it around so that I can get my tractor over the back end just in case it needs alot of work. No sense in wasting a bunch of fluid or making it harder on myself. I will probably start all of that tomorrow, I may have some pictures by tomorrow night through the inspection window.

/ TD7E Rebuild Project #24  
Unfortunately you cant see much through that cover. The bevel gear carrier is behind that cover. The discs are on the sides of the gear box and there's a metal casting between them and the back cover. You have to pull the top cover to see what's going on. Maybe yours being a few years newer is different but I don't know.

Attachments

• IMG_5754.jpg
    IMG_5754.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 195
  • IMG_5828.jpg
    IMG_5828.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 182
   / TD7E Rebuild Project
Unfortunately you cant see much through that cover. The bevel gear carrier is behind that cover. The discs are on the sides of the gear box and there's a metal casting between them and the back cover. You have to pull the top cover to see what's going on. Maybe yours being a few years newer is different but I don't know.

Yeah, I see what you mean, from your pictures I think that the only thing that I will be able to see is the ring gear. Did you have to jack the back end of the dozer up to remove the sprockets or can it be done with it sitting on the ground? I am about to turn it around in the garage here in a minute and I will go ahead and figure out how I am going to jack it up if I need to.

/ TD7E Rebuild Project #26  
You do have to jack it up from the hitch or under the gear box to get the sprockets off.

/ TD7E Rebuild Project #27  
I have a 78 TD7E and I am loosing trans fluid, but I cant tell where from. Going to be looking a little harder into it soon. Are there any external lines on these powershifts?

/ TD7E Rebuild Project #28  
There are quite a few lines you could be losing from. There's about 6 small lines that run from the transmission to the power shifter. There's also some larger lines that run from the torque converter pump and lines that run up to the oil cooler. It's pretty tight in there to get to some of the lines. When I replaced the powershift lines I had some made with swivel ends. I made it work but it it was tough to get a wrench on the power shift connections due to the ends being a little bigger. You can pull the instrument cluster assembly to gain access and there is also a inspection plate on the transmission plate underneath. If they've been leaking slowly for awhile you'll need a lot of degreaser.

/ TD7E Rebuild Project #29  
Ill take a look this weekend. Sent out for a quote from a couple companies regarding undercarriage parts, see how that goes. I need to get this thing in good shape finally going to be needing it.

/ TD7E Rebuild Project #30  
Some of the parts are getting hard to find. What are you looking for?