TC55DA - EHSS clutch not engaging.

/ TC55DA - EHSS clutch not engaging. #1  

Osconda

Silver Member
Texas, Williamson County (aka Texas Hill Country)
Tractor
New Holland TC55DA, delivered 05/25/2005
Last Saturday I was working on my 1/2 mi. driveway pushing a little road base around filling in the low spots, when my tractor just quit moving. I thought that was real funny. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I tried backing up and nothing. I remembered about having to clutch pedal it first any time I start it or get off the seat so I tried that,...no go /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif.

I turned if off several times and fiddled with the shuttle shifter several times, pressing the clutch, and all that, and it finally moved /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif....about four feet /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I had to walk over to my neighbor and I humbly /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif hooked up my chain so he could pull me to my house with his green tractor.

I tried adjusting a turn buckle on the cable that is pulled when depressing the clutch and the tractor started working again /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I made it about 100 yards down my drive before it just stopped /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Never could get it to move again.

I used by neighbor's <font color="green"> green </font> tractor to push my <font color="blue"> blue </font> tractor on a trailer to haul over to the dealer.

Got to the dealer yesterday morning and the mechanic asked me if I could get the tractor off the trailer. I said yea if we push it off /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. We set the ramps, mechanic jumps on the tractor, starts it up and DRIVES it off the trailer. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Now didn't that make me look stupid? He drove it around the parking lot without any problems. He said he'd give it a close look.

Also told him to see what he could do about 1st gear being so hard to set and low range being difficult to set.

I hope it doesn't budge today when he hops on it.

/ TC55DA - EHSS clutch not engaging. #2  
I don't know if the EHSS system is the same on your tractor as it is on my TN70 with power-shuttle, but I had a similar problem. I was in a creek digging out the muck, and the tractor just decided it didn't want to budge. I got an error code on the dash panel, and it turned out to be the control unit. It intermittently worked and then died until I finally had the control unit replaced and it's been fine ever since.

/ TC55DA - EHSS clutch not engaging.
mahlers,

I just called the shop and they said the mechanic ordered another control unit. So it looks like his assessment may be right inline with what you found. BTW, EHSS is what NH calls the power shuttle on this series tractor. Electro-Hydraulic Shuttle Shift. I'm glad we can just use an acronym.

/ TC55DA - EHSS clutch not engaging. #4  
I'm glad they're fixing it quick. I really like the Power Shuttle transmission, but I wish they had some sort of manual override that would allow the tractor to be manually shifted if the control unit goes out. It was really disconcerting to be stuck and have no way to 'limp home.' In my case, I used the backhoe to push and pull myself out of the creek - but that took a loooong time. If I didn't have the backhoe, I'm not sure how I would have gotten out because there was absolutely no recovery-vehicle access to the place where I was stuck.

/ TC55DA - EHSS clutch not engaging. #5  
This is one of the reasons I decided to choose the TC48 over the TC55. I know that the EHSS shifter is sweet, but when it goes brokie, and where, I had no clue if it could be moved at all. Glad it's fixed /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, and would pay to keep a spare controller, and know how to replace it if it happens again. So far shifting the TC48 is not a big deal, plus it was on the lot, and Justin Reed at Antitam Tractor in Hagerstown work me a good deal on it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EHSS controller replaced and all is well. Tractor finally did it's little stunt in the dealer's shop 3 different times.

Kinda funny, you never know how much you miss somebody\thing till it's gone. I'm glad to have her back home again. We both had a great time last weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

My tractor stopped dead in its tracks again. I delivered it to dealer for repair. Mechanic went all through it and all he could figure was that the hydraulic pressure was set slightly too high. He changed out the EHSS controller and adjusted the hydraulic pressure down slightly. He said he could never get it to fail again.

Now after having it back a little while (2 proofmeter hours), the darn is failing again. Called dealer and asked them if they would do me the courtesy of picking the tractor up for the repair. They came by this morning and picked it up.

This is now the third time it's failed for the same thing. It's got 202 hours on it and my confidence is really starting to diminish. EHSS is great when it works. I'm glad I'm not having to depend on my tractor for food on the table.

I asked the dealer to contact New Holland about the problem and to let the area rep. know that if they can't fix this, I'll be looking to trade the tractor in for something else.

/ TC55DA - EHSS clutch not engaging. #8  
Oddness. Truly oddness.

Worked the heck out of mine (450+ hrs now) and no EHSS issues.

I get a similar sort of 'no moving' problem if my LMH shifter is not fully engaged, but it goes away once I've made sure the thing is engaged with a bit of persuasion from my BLA.

I don't think its a controller or a pressure issue; that sounds like an overcomplicated solution to a simple problem... My bet is you have someting busted inside your LMH selector (gear tooth/teeth or bent/broken mechanism), or you just need to use your BLA to engage it.

BLA=Big Left Arm... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ TC55DA - EHSS clutch not engaging. #9  
Gee... isn't that something. The only problem I ever had on mine was a broken hydraulic hose. I've got 120 hours or so on mine at the moment. Had more trouble with my aftermarket cab, but everything is o.k. now. Hope you are getting it sorted out though. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ TC55DA - EHSS clutch not engaging. #10  
Similar experience with a 2120, older version of EHSS, 1993. About 1200 hours, works great, first owner reported no problems or down time. I hope you find a simple solution, cause some of the parts inside are pretty dear.
Jim