Traction TC45D 4WD issue

/ TC45D 4WD issue #1  

quepos

Tractor
New Holland TC45D
I have a Boomer TC45D 2003 880 hs.

4WD lever has gone "limp"--moves freely obviously not engaging and so 4WD doesn't work.

It has always been a pain to move the lever into 4WD, finally learned to lift it w/ the bucket, that worked, but 3 or 4 attempts a year in the years before that of just trying the pedal back and forth and then pushin the lever, maybe too hard.

Anyway, now the 4WD lever slides back and forth completely freely--no tension--obviously not connecting to anything and so the tractor now does not engage into 4wd. This didn't happen with any indication of a problem--like with any noise of any kind, nor any other issues--it runs fine in 2WD, it seemingly just happened without me noticing.

Any idea of what to look for underneath to start with--it seems like it must be a linkage problem.
Will I have to drain the oil completely--I just replaced it a few months ago, expensive stuff--or if I tilt it back with the bucket will most of it drain away from where I need to look?

Last edited:
   / TC45D 4WD issue #2  
when i first got mine i was slipping and jammed it into 4wd. My little kubota had a clutch even though it was hST so i always used it for entering 4wd.
After that my NH had a grinding noise. I took it to dealer and they had to replace some gear.
ever since then i raise it on the bucket and tap the peddals lightly until it goes in easy.
GOOD LUCK!!!

/ TC45D 4WD issue
Very interesting but not the issue with mine.

/ TC45D 4WD issue #4  
Very interesting but not the issue with mine.

could it just be a linkage issue with yours? maybe bent a little and not engaging?
have you been able to follow the linkage from the shifter and checked it for an apparent issue? it's probably worth a look.
do you have a diagram of the linkage? sometimes i go to messicks and go to their parts lists and often they have breakdowns of areas of the tractor

/ TC45D 4WD issue
Thanks, but can't see linkage externally

/ TC45D 4WD issue
My guy says the linkage goes direct into the box. Thanks--is he full of baloney?

/ TC45D 4WD issue
Not sure if my thank you went thru, but thanks. I know that web sight, I copied the page for the box itself, looked under the wrong category I guess. I'll let you know.

Wish I was in the Piney Woods, love the smell. used to go that airport in Tyler alot when I was living in Tx in the 90's.

/ TC45D 4WD issue
OK, we pulled the Transfer Box. everything is fine, linkage engages, nothing broken . On board lever to engage 4wd is still limp, unit is still not engaging to 4wd. This unit has super Steer. Any ideas on how to check--I called my former dealer, said has to be something from the Transfer Box to the front. Any ideas?