TC40DA - PTO Not Fully Disengaging

/ TC40DA - PTO Not Fully Disengaging #1  

keg99

Tractor
New Holland TC40DA
My 2006 TC40DA PTO shaft continue to spin even though fully disengaged. You can grab the PTO shaft and stop the spinning. But it makes hooking up an implement very difficult. I talked to the dealer who said the "PTO brake" is not working right. The fix is a 6-8 hour repair. Any thoughts on how to fix the PTO brake (without spending >$1,000) or otherwise stop it from spinning while disengaged?

/ TC40DA - PTO Not Fully Disengaging #2  
If you are pretty mechanical, it isn't terrible, but the seat and the rear transmission cover to inspect the PTO. I believe that the clutch is removed by removing the top PTO shaft from the rear, but the service manual shows that the rear end has to be separated from the transmission. Not sure why, but here is a link to a TC35 with the same problem. Jinman here has service manual pages copied on getting to the PTO.

/ TC40DA - PTO Not Fully Disengaging #3  
It never occurred to me that someone would hookup a pto shaft with the engine running.

/ TC40DA - PTO Not Fully Disengaging #4  
It never occurred to me that someone would hookup a pto shaft with the engine running.
Definitely not the safest thing to do!

/ TC40DA - PTO Not Fully Disengaging #5  
I do. All the time. Highly unlikely to have any issues since on mine there is a lever to switch between 540E - Neutral - 540. I keep it in Neutral.

/ TC40DA - PTO Not Fully Disengaging #6  
My 2006 TC40DA PTO shaft continue to spin even though fully disengaged. You can grab the PTO shaft and stop the spinning. But it makes hooking up an implement very difficult. I talked to the dealer who said the "PTO brake" is not working right. The fix is a 6-8 hour repair. Any thoughts on how to fix the PTO brake (without spending >$1,000) or otherwise stop it from spinning while disengaged?
Your tractor uses a wet clutch pack with a spring actuated brake. It requires a deep dive on the transmission and most likely split it between the transmission and rear end housings. It's a time consuming job that gets expensive really fast but you don't want to spend the money to fix it right, just turn off the engine when hooking up the PTO shaft.

If your tractor has mid PTO, there is a chance that it has a Neutral for both PTOs or maybe just put in Mid PTO and the rear one will stop.

/ TC40DA - PTO Not Fully Disengaging #7  
Your tractor uses a wet clutch pack with a spring actuated brake. It requires a deep dive on the transmission and most likely split it between the transmission and rear end housings. It's a time consuming job that gets expensive really fast but you don't want to spend the mone
And that right there is why you should use manufacturers oil if you have any type of wet clutch...and know your machine.

On a side note does anyone know how to get the PTO to free spool? Cleaning out my snowblower kind of sucks when you cant move the auger/impeller.

/ TC40DA - PTO Not Fully Disengaging #8  
And that right there is why you should use manufacturers oil if you have any type of wet clutch...and know your machine.

On a side note does anyone know how to get the PTO to free spool? Cleaning out my snowblower kind of sucks when you cant move the auger/impeller.
You should be able to spin the PTO with the engine off