Tc40 front axle venting

/ Tc40 front axle venting #1  

nyone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 851
my 2001 tc40 with 3100hr was parked for about 2 days when we had a major warm spell (20* to 60* and sunny) well my axle seal started leaking. It had been sitting there for 2 days before it started leaking. I opened the dip stick and cleaned off the leaking axle. The leak has stopped and the fluid is full. This has lead me to believe that I need a vent.

I know the JD guys have vented dip sticks available..do the NH guys?

/ Tc40 front axle venting #2  
Is there a fill plug / something on the opposite side from the dip stick? I kind of remember a large port and a small port on each side when I used to do tractor pre deliveries.

/ Tc40 front axle venting
Unfortunately theres not. Just the dip stick.

/ Tc40 front axle venting #4  
I would be tempted to remove the dipstick and put in a breather there then. Possibly make a dipstick of the same length on whatever breather you end up with.

/ Tc40 front axle venting #5  
might call your dealer service dept & describe the issue. also after a long workout, pull the dipstick to see if any pressure built up.
also read where 80/90 gear oil is more forgiving than UDT for axle leaks, but can't confirm as i've had no issues w/mind, regards

This is definitely 80/90 gear oil. Anyone know if the stick needs to be screwed in to check the level on the stick? If so I'm about 1/2in over filled.

/ Tc40 front axle venting #7  
This is definitely 80/90 gear oil. Anyone know if the stick needs to be screwed in to check the level on the stick? If so I'm about 1/2in over filled.
I've often wondered this question as well about dip sticks which thread into a hole. I have read manuals that say you screw while others say to rest it on the threads, couldn't be more confusing.

The manual for my TC33D says the following:

NOTE: To obtain correct oil level reading
do not screw dipstick into axle housing
when checking oil level.

Attachments

• TC33D Front Drive Oil Level.pdf
    311.5 KB · Views: 35
Thank you. I looked high and low in the digital tc40 manuals I have and couldn't find anything like that.

This confirms my level is correct.

/ Tc40 front axle venting #9  
I'll confirm that the instructions on my model, TC29DA, are also to read the stick without screwing in.

My change instructions are to use hydraulic fluid.

/ Tc40 front axle venting #10  
If you screw the stick in, it would seem that it would be impossible to read the level accurately because with gear oil especially (thick) the screwing in/out would act as a paddle/blender action that would pull/wick the fluid up the stick and give a false reading