TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil #31  
tom_k said:
Contacted a local dealer about how to buy it locally, but never saw a response. I would not want to have 8 or 9 gallons shipped.
Years ago, before they had the multi viscosity hyd oil, I ordered it from the AMSOIL web site and had it shipped. I heard the same story from my local NH dealer (they didn't stock it) instead they sold the Kubota synthetic hyd oil for use in Kubota and NH tractors. Since you just paid for 17 gallons of the stuff, I would not change it out for a while.

To reiterate, I would document, in writing, what your complaints are to the owner of the NH dealer and give him a chance to make things right. In the letter , specifically state what you're looking for, e.g., a refund of X dollars, don't just complain. Based on what you've indicated, the issues are;

DEALER RELATED ISSUES
Pickup and delivery charges.
17 gallons of hyd oil in a tractor that takes about 9 gallons.
Changing the front axle fluids.

NH RELATED ISSUES
The defective oil cooler
The defective 90 degree hoses

If nothing happens, send a letter to NH HQ and cc the dealer and your local BBB.

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil
IH3444 said:
Tom, you're not trying hard enough....:D The problems you are experiencing with a hydrostatic tractor is one, of many reasons I bought a gear tractor. What are you going to do next time something blows in the cold weather?

Usually I'm not a Bells-and-Whistles kinda guy. For years, we bought only manual transmission cars. Pickup trucks with crank-up windows, etc.
So I don't know what I'd been drinking on the day I bought this tractor.

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil #33  
You've got a great sense of humor Tom. Sorry for the harshness. It surprizes me that NH hasn't isued a blanket recall on this problem with the hydros, although I could be behind the times with that statement. NH should have known that people will want to use their tractors in below zero tempertures. It leaves me to believe that they didn't do their low temperture technical evalation correctly. These machines should be good to -20, and really to -35 degree temps. If it took installing the higher quality synthetic lube at the factory, then they should have done it. Leaving the customer hanging out in the cold with such a problem is almost criminal. You buy a brand new tractor from New Holland to perform such tasks as plowing, in the winter, and then at tempertures only as low as 30 degrees F, bam.....the hydrostatic filter blows a seal, or the hydro cooler ruptures a line. Hardly acceptable. I started out my search for a new tractor wanting a big hydrostatic tractor, and after reading many post about hydro issues, went with a New Holland TC48 gear drive. Your dealer should stand behind you 100% with this, and if not, take the good advice already given about contacting the NH factory rep. :)

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil #34  
The only issues related to the cold temps are the filter and the noise. They issued a redesigned filter in response. I don't think anyone has said the noise is harmful.

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil #35  
Just something to read and think about:

By using high viscosity oil in a cold environment, you would experience a high resistance to flow, an increase in power consumption due to friction, sluggish or slow operation of actuators, and possible aeration of the oil. When the fluid is too thick, there can be cavitation at the inlet port, resulting in high pump wear and sluggish system response. This was told to me many years ago but still works today. Viscosity is like the#15-30 in Amsoil. Where I live we use stright a grade #22 for winter #32 or #46 in summer. Hydraulic oil is changed 2 times every year to keep moisture out (which is why we change 2 times a year). Multi-grade is the best but you pay for it and it still should be changed every year. If a hydraulic unit has water in you should change it at least 2 times. The first time to get water out of tank but the cyls. still have to be cycled to put clean oil in them, so 2 times is min.
PJ

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil #37  
I'm a bit disappointed about my NH tractor not having a threaded boss, where a plug could be removed, and an accessary heating element could be installed. I'm still a bit amazed about the NH's compacts not being more cold weather oriented. Seems to me plowing snow is one thing most buy their tractor for, with 4WD. Winter snow plowing......:)