TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil
Soundguy said:
let us know how you make out.

My dealer rang up charges for a new oil cooler, upgrade kit to replace the 90-degree angled hoses, ~9 gallons of NH 134 hydraulic fluid, hst and hydraulic filters, plus an engine oil/filter and front axle oil change. 8 hours of labor (including 2 round trips for hauling time, about 2 hours). Total P&L, Tax: over $1400. Ouch!

The part I don't get is 6 hours of shop time for the cooler (which I thought was a 1-hour job), 3 fluid changes, and clean-up. I guess their $75/hour mechanic can't pour oil into a 1-inch hole any faster than I can.

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil #12  
tom_k said:
My dealer rang up charges for a new oil cooler, upgrade kit to replace the 90-degree angled hoses, ~9 gallons of NH 134 hydraulic fluid, hst and hydraulic filters, plus an engine oil/filter and front axle oil change. 8 hours of labor (including 2 round trips for hauling time, about 2 hours). Total P&L, Tax: over $1400. Ouch!

The part I don't get is 6 hours of shop time for the cooler (which I thought was a 1-hour job), 3 fluid changes, and clean-up. I guess their $75/hour mechanic can't pour oil into a 1-inch hole any faster than I can.

Wow! I hope he kissed you...:rolleyes:

That's why I hoped you could get this done under warranty. I'd say that since your warranty just expired and you have so few hours on that tractor, you just got hosed. I think New Holland would get a letter from me. I'd be nice, but I'd also be firm in saying that they should foot the bill on the repair work. You might have to pay for hauling and the other service, but I believe NH should pay for your cooler and hoses. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil #13  
jinman said:
Wow! I hope he kissed you...:rolleyes:
I agree!

I've done all of those things, except replace the oil cooler, it didn't take me 6 hours and I'm not a professional mechanic! Changing the oil cooler, since you're also installing the kit, isn't that big a deal. I also agree you should sent a polite but firm letter the NH. The parts cost what they cost, but 6 hours of labor....

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil #14  
I would be livid, but then, that is why I tend to do most of the stuff myself, I get frustrated by others doing it.

Did they do this / charge you already or is that just the projected charge?

There really is not that much to any of it, just a little patience and lots of rags and you could do it yourself with normal tools.

You have better dealers then I if they knew about the line kit etc. If it were not for the folks on TBN I would still be struggling to make something, half as nice as the factory kit. Even when I got the NH part #s from here on TBN and brought them too 3 different dealers, they could not even tell me if they would fit my tractor (1925) or what they were for.

The other truly odd thing for me was how tight the Hydro filter gets screwed on. I am so used to things just being "snug" and am not looking at it, but it seems like 1.5 turns past contact or such is what is printed on the filter.

Good luck, I know everyones situation is different, but if I had to pay $1400 to get my tractor fixed for what I consider minor stuff, I would be in trouble.

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil #15  
Dang!.. They could have at least told you it was not gonna be covered.. so you could have bought the parts and done it yourself and saved some $$.

WOW.. I agree with the others.. ya need to send a letter.

Soundguy

>> Did they do this / charge you already or is that just the projected charge?

They did the work already and returned the tractor this morning.
I've been going over the bill. I also called the manager shortly before the shop closed to ask him to examine the charges and help me understand how this work could add up to 8 hours of labor.

2 or 3 labor hours, apparently, was the driver's hauling time, charged at mechanics' rates. Plus they added a $150 truck charge. So the total just for hauling the tractor 17 miles and back might have been $300 - $375. I told the manager if he thinks the shop needs to charge so much, they should point customers to a towing company instead.

Now, changing out the oil cooler might have been a 1 hour job. Remove 4 bolts, a couple of hose clamps, all in plain view at chest height, and it's just about off. Add maybe half an hour to pressure wash the oily tractor?

So, what's left seems to be about 4 hours for fluid changes. Hydraulic, engine, front axle oils. Plus 3 filters. Even if it was only 3 hours, do y'all agree with me, this must have been an awfully slow lube job?

They charged for 17 gallons of hydraulic oil. So maybe they drained and filled twice to make sure any moisture was flushed? Could that have taken a couple hours of shop time?

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil #17  
In your first post about this you thought it was 6 hours to do all the work. Five hours is only slightly easier to believe but I think it's still on the high side. Why they would send a mechanic to deliver a tractor is a bit odd as is the $150 truck charge. However, you paid for 2 round trips.

1. Remove all the drain plugs
2. Change the oil cooler and install the 90 degree elbow elimination kit while all the fluids were draining.
3. Remove old filters and install new filters.
4. Install all drain plugs.
5. Refill fluids, start and check for leaks.
6. Power wash.

Are you sure they drained and refilled the hyd sump twice? The Class II Boomers use 8 gallons. What do the Class IIIs take?

I would still send a letter of complaint to the dealer to let him know you are not happy and which charges you believe to be unfair. See what he does. If no response, send a similar letter to NH and cc the dealer. I'd also doublecheck what you were charged for the parts by comparing them to an online site like Messicks.

>>Are you sure they drained and refilled the hyd sump twice? The Class II Boomers use 8 gallons.

No, I'm not sure at all. But in going over the bill, I see they charged for 17 gallons of hydraulic oil. My tractor takes 8.8 .

I'm not going to jump to conclusions about these charges. It's possible that 2-3 hours of driving and double filling the oil, with the other work, really did use up 8 hours of labor. I suspect they are not dishonest, but not terribly efficient in their work either. As in sending a mechanic to do a towing job. Maybe mid-December is a slow time for repair shops so that's the best they could do to keep him busy?

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil #19  
FWIW, My dealer charges $150 to pick-up & return for service work. $150+$75 per hour seems high to me. Greg

Yes, hauling costs were the single biggest part of the bill.

In 15 years, I've had to send a tractor to the shop maybe 3 times (including this one). I've been reluctant to buy a trailer because it would not get much use, meanwhile it's one more piece of equipment taking up space. Then there's the chance I'd need a winch to load the thing anyway. I do the routine maintenance, so no need to transport it when it's running fine.

I don't remember what I paid last time for a tow truck to move a car across town. I'm sure it was a lot less than $350 though.