TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil #1  

tom_k

I have a New Holland TC33DA, HST & SuperSteer, 149 hours on it. Complete newbie to hydraulic systems (my previous tractor was an old 8N).

I started it up this morning in 31 degree weather.
After operating for about 10 minutes, I noticed fluid spurting down around the HST filter. I assumed it was coming out of the filter and replaced the filter. Went to top off the hydraulic/tranny oil and was surprised it took 2 1/2 gallons to come up to level.

Re-started the tractor. After about 5 minutes, fluid is spurting all over the engine compartment. It is about the color of butter, and seems to be coming out of the left side of the shoebox-sized part that looks like a small radiator. Would this be a hydraulic fluid radiator that has blown a leak?

I had lept this tractor in my garage its first year. Last few months it's been out in the weather. I suspect moisture has gotten into the hydraulics.

Can anyone tell me what I seem to be dealing with, and how to fix? The radiator where the leak is appearing looks like it'd be easy to replace.

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil
I've determined the leak (or one of them) is in the oil cooler so I'll replace that.

Meanwhile, what's the best procedure to flush the water out of the hydraulic system? I thought I'd drain it all, change filters, add cheap hydraulic oil with a bottle of iso-Heet (water remover), let it stand, drain again, and add good oil.

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil #3  
Be sure you didn't just bust a hose on the hyd oil cooler. If you have two 90 degree hoses connected to the oil cooler, you have the model that's prone to these hose elbows bursting. NH has a kit that includes 2 new hard lines and 2 straight hoses.

NH has issued a different hyd filter (the one near the right rear wheel) that handles high start up pressures in cold temps.

BTW, these problems are well known in the NH Owning/Operating forum. :)

MikePA said:
Be sure you didn't just bust a hose on the hyd oil cooler. If you have two 90 degree hoses connected to the oil cooler, you have the model that's prone to these hose elbows bursting. NH has a kit that includes 2 new hard lines and 2 straight hoses.

NH has issued a different hyd filter (the one near the right rear wheel) that handles high start up pressures in cold temps.

No, the hoses appear to be o.k.
The oil clearly is spurting out from the cooler itself.

Before I replaced the HST filter and topped off, it appeared to be coming out around the filter so I assumed the filter/gasket was bad. It's possible I was just seeing drips from the busted cooler that sprayed around the filter. Or, maybe it really was the filter, then after I replaced that, a new leak developed in the cooler.

Anyway, I'm now working on the idea that the whole problem is due to moisture in the lines & I need to get rid of that, in addition to repairing the leak(s). I suppose this will involve at least 1 oil drain & fill, and replacing both the hydraulic & hst filters. Plus cleaning up the engine compartment. Man, what a pain!

MikePA said:

I looked through some of those posts.

I have to say, I am really unhappy to find out these issues have been well known for a couple years, yet NH sold me this tractor, never issued a service bulletin let alone a recall, and basically delivered a ticking oil time bomb to my property.

Assuming no lasting damage was done before I realized what was happening, the tractor can be fixed. But I must have about 10 gallons of oil all over our fields and driveway. It's a mess, and I really hope I can at least get some warranty service.

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil #6  
tom_k said:
I have to say, I am really unhappy to find out these issues have been well known for a couple years, yet NH sold me this tractor, never issued a service bulletin let alone a recall, and basically delivered a ticking oil time bomb to my property.
Keep in mind your local dealer sold you the tractor, not NH. I believe NH issued a service bulletin which your local dealer should have made you aware of, if not installed the kit before selling the tractor.

Also, I thought you said your problem was not the elbows nor the HST filter? If so, even if the dealer had informed you, it would not have prevented your problem.

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil #7  
tom_k said:
I had lept this tractor in my garage its first year. Last few months it's been out in the weather. I suspect moisture has gotten into the hydraulics.

Tom, I'm hoping your tractor is less than two years old and you have a full warranty. If so, I'd recommend you stop trying to deal with this yourself and get in touch with your dealer. If you try to fix it, you run the risk of having your dealer say you caused this or other problems that led to the cooler failure. Several issues have also been identified related to coolers cracking due to vibration and stress. These have mostly been on different tractors from yours, but your cooler failure could be related since you say it is not the hose fittings that failed. It seems to me that your tractor is generating high HST pressure enough to blow a filter seal and maybe also your cooler. If I could, I'd let the dealer take care of that. That's what you have a warranty for in my opinion.

jinman said:
Tom, I'm hoping your tractor is less than two years old and you have a full warranty. If so, I'd recommend you stop trying to deal with this yourself and get in touch with your dealer. If you try to fix it, you run the risk of having your dealer say you caused this or other problems that led to the cooler failure. Several issues have also been identified related to coolers cracking due to vibration and stress. These have mostly been on different tractors from yours, but your cooler failure could be related since you say it is not the hose fittings that failed. It seems to me that your tractor is generating high HST pressure enough to blow a filter seal and maybe also your cooler. If I could, I'd let the dealer take care of that. That's what you have a warranty for in my opinion.

I talked to the dealer earlier this morning (Monday). We're waiting for them to come haul the tractor back to their shop.

It is 2 1/2 years old, so past the basic warranty. Power Train warranty runs to 3 years. Dealer said he'll check the fine print to see what "power train" includes. The NH web site lists the oil cooler among engine equipment.

I expect this may run around $1K P&L with hauling fees, oil and filter changes, new cooler, cooler hose upgrade, clean-up etc. That's assuming I did not inflict any major damage (pump, transmission etc) before noticing the oil leak.

Yes, I'm thinking this probably is not related to the 90-degree hose issues. Fluid may have run low, then absorbed moisture during recent heavy rains. Then the water froze in the lines on Saturday morning.

Sorta makes me miss my simple old 8N.

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil #9  
I doubt you hurt many hard parts unless you rean it low on oil.. alot.

The buttery stuff you saw could indeed be water emulsion.. or it could be air entrainment, neither is good.

let us know how you make out.

soundguy

/ TC33DA leaking hydraulic oil #10  
First; if you changed the hyd. filter; look at old one and make sure the gasket came off with it and did not stick in filter adaptor. If it did they will leak. Make sure you tightened the hyd. filter well. They do make a cold weather filter. My fluid looked like yours when my filter leaked, I think it was just cold and had some air in it. The class II units are not known for bad oil coolers, hoses they are know for. Class III did have some cooler problems.
If you have a good dealer, he will determine if water is in system. I had mine leak out of the filter from an overfill condition in cold weather once.