TC33D wont start

/ TC33D wont start #151  
jn9230 ... I'll report back when I know more...

Before I did the starter relay mod I had the relay clicking with out turning over the engine but once the tractor started it never shut off without me turning the key off. Yours shutting off seems to me that the fuel solenoid is loosing power or you have a very intermittent fuel blockage.
Update as promised:

I installed the Dedicated Starting Relay modification. The tractor started right up. But it ran only for 12 minutes (2/10 hr) and then died. Would not start after that. Would not even crank (heard clicking but it did not turn over).

Have good voltage at battery and at Starter (12.5+). I also checked voltage while it was running, had 14.5+.

I now suspect the Fuel Shutoff Solenoid. Will test today or tomorrow and possibly replace that.

I also suspect I have a short somewhere.
Reason for suspicion: I have continuity between the battery positive and engine ground (with battery negative disconnected). Am I wrong to believe this is NOT correct? Doesn’t this mean I have a short somewhere? Does anyone have a script or directions as to how to find a short on a TC30?

I'm becoming very discouraged, but not giving up yet!

Thanks much for your help so far.

Last edited:
   / TC33D wont start #152  
Follow-up:

The Fuel Solenoid appears to be good. To test without removal, with a wire, I touched the solenoid to the battery+ and the solenoid clicked, as if being actuated. Repeated test several times, all good.

But, another reason to suspect a short: I have continuity from the hot side of the solenoid to the block and battery negative. Ironically, no battery voltage drop was detected (battery voltage remained at 12.58-12.60 with or without being connected to the tractor).

Very strange!

/ TC33D wont start #153  
@Papasmirf (post 11/21/13): I know it has been 10 years ago since your post, but I would sure like to know just where you found that “small ignition relay“. I have a 2004 TC 40 DA that I have searched pretty much anything and everything electrical on and it has been weeks but all it does is click, when you turn it to “on“ and there’s nothing when you turn it over to start.
I have a 2007 TC30 that did the same. After a 1/2 day of searching I found a small relay that is for the starter start circuit. I replaced it...all ok now

/ TC33D wont start #154  
@Papasmirf (post 11/21/13): I know it has been 10 years ago since your post, but I would sure like to know just where you found that “small ignition relay“. I have a 2004 TC 40 DA that I have searched pretty much anything and everything electrical on and it has been weeks but all it does is click, when you turn it to “on“ and there’s nothing when you turn it over to start.
He has NOT been online here since 2014, so not likely to hear from him.

/ TC33D wont start #155  
Attached is the starting circuit schematic, which may help. He may have been referring to the Neutral Start Relay #10.

Are all your fuses good?

Is your ignition switch functioning correctly? Mine pretty much melted before I did the starting circuit modification. I replaced mine with one from NAPA which was a beast compared to the flimsy plastic OEM one.

Have you confirmed that the other switches (seat, PTO Neutral) are being made or have you by passed them?

Attachments

• Electrical - Starting Circuit.pdf
    890.8 KB · Views: 55
   / TC33D wont start #156  
He has NOT been online here since 2014, so not likely to hear from him.
Thanks. I figured it was a long shot, but thought I’d ask.
I got my TC40DA to start/run, but it still has electrical issues with the hi-lo range/third function operation/dash and gauges. This electrical anomaly has plagued me for about three years!

/ TC33D wont start #157  
Attached is the starting circuit schematic, which may help. He may have been referring to the Neutral Start Relay #10.

Are all your fuses good?

Is your ignition switch functioning correctly? Mine pretty much melted before I did the starting circuit modification. I replaced mine with one from NAPA which was a beast compared to the flimsy plastic OEM one.

Have you confirmed that the other switches (seat, PTO Neutral) are being made or have you by passed them?
Thank you for the information. I’m still trying to open/download the image you posted. I did get the tractor to start and run. I discovered that one of the relays had gone out –– which I had previously checked, and was good earlier. And a hot wire going to its neighboring relay had corroded in two, up in the terminal itself. All the fuses are good. Now, all the relays are good. All battery terminals, and cables or clean and tightly connected. The ignition switch seems to be operating as it should. And just trust me when I see that none of the safety switches or an issue. (Well, perhaps if there’s one for the PTO)
And now I am faced with an age old electrical problem some where in the electrical system for the high-low range circuits and the controller for the third function valves (root grapple, Lane Shark, etc.). This particular problem has plagued me for the last few years and I have yet to be able to run it down. I do believe it is this problem that burned out the relay and would not let the tractor crank. When I turn the ignition switch on the battery light does not light up. After the engine cranks and is running the battery light stays on And will dim and fluctuate if I toggle the Hi-low range switch; also, the speedometer and other dash gauges go crazy.The alternator is charging (14.8 volts) and the battery stays charged.

Last edited:
   / TC33D wont start #158  
The following attachments should help with the high-low switch circuit:

Attachments

• H-L Switch High Circuit.pdf
    818.8 KB · Views: 36
  • H-L Switch Low Circuit.pdf
    794.9 KB · Views: 33
   / TC33D wont start #159  
Mine hi/low (rabbit/turtle) quit working for a bit and then started’s wing again and hasn’t skipped a beat since. The electrical connections seemed to be fine on mine. I had a thread on it here with pictures.