Traction TC30 Keep it in 4WD?

/ TC30 Keep it in 4WD? #21  
Hi Roy-I read the manual and it says step on the pedal. There is no pedal. It has what looks like a lever that needs to be pulled. Even the picture in the manual does not show a pedal. I am going to call the dealer and ask if no one here has experienced the same confusion

Nothing wrong with getting some clarification from the dealer...sometimes manuals are written for folks with a degree of experience. When one is a novice, better to ask for help then make a mistake.
While you're talking to the dealer, ask him about his advice on using the differential lock...

/ TC30 Keep it in 4WD? #22  
For what it's worth. A couple weeks ago I was trying to back up and my rear wheel started to spin and I did try pulling/twisting moving that "pedal" and didn't see any difference. After that I found the picture of it in the manual and you are right there is not a lot of explaination about it. So the next time my wheel started to spin I stepped on it to see if I could tell any difference and didn't notice any. Maybe I didn't get it engaged right. I guess I need to play with it some more so I can see for sure. Anyway, please let me know what the dealer says.

/ TC30 Keep it in 4WD? #23  
the "pedal" on my old kubota and on this NH TC40 was more a little metal lever sticking out...

Hi Roy-I read the manual and it says step on the pedal. There is no pedal. It has what looks like a lever that needs to be pulled. Even the picture in the manual does not show a pedal. I am going to call the dealer and ask if no one here has experienced the same confusion

/ TC30 Keep it in 4WD? #24  
the "pedal" on my old kubota and on this NH TC40 was more a little metal lever sticking out...

On my 4400, it is a pedal. The old 670 and 790, it was a rod sticking out of the panel just below the operator's seat.

/ TC30 Keep it in 4WD? #25  
Yup. the old Kub-B8200, and this TC40 have the rod sticking out, although it has a squished area to make it an extra 1/8" wider :D

On left side of platform(as sitting on the seat)...

On my 4400, it is a pedal. The old 670 and 790, it was a rod sticking out of the panel just below the operator's seat.

Attachments

• DSCN1245.JPG
    DSCN1245.JPG
    479.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
   / TC30 Keep it in 4WD? #26  
An old timer gave me this advice with regard to the use of 4wd. "I drive in 2wd so if I get into trouble I can use 4wd to get me out. If I get into trouble in 4wd, I'm screwed!"

That said, I use 4wd drive when I need the traction. I don't leave the tractor in 4wd. As Jim said, all the parts of 4wd are turning, however there is no applied torque to the ring and pinion in 2wd.

/ TC30 Keep it in 4WD?
Hey Ed; the T-handle looking thingie is a pedal!!! :confused2: Yup, he said you step on it to lock the differential. :thumbsup:Then you can take your foot off of it. When you stop, it "should" dissengage automatically. He said don't keep it locked for very long and if I could avoid turning that would be best since it is almost impossible to turn when both rear wheels are moving at the same speed (unless they are slipping).:cool:

/ TC30 Keep it in 4WD?
:laughing:Robert-Good picture but man..that is tight!!

/ TC30 Keep it in 4WD?
Jerry....I always listen to old timers and at this point (62) I believe I have become one of them.:laughing: Beats the alternative :thumbsup: I like the way your "old timer" thinks. It makes perfect sense to me. I have kept it in 2wd except for loader work. It really is nice to have a loader again :D

/ TC30 Keep it in 4WD? #30  
Like MiserableOldFart, mine tends to stay in FWD 95%. I try real hard to turn if off when I'm on the "lawn" area but it usually leave's a mark before I remember. You would think as as many times as I've heard about those marks I would know better by now.....anyway Most of my seat time is doing fel work.