Traction TC30 Keep it in 4WD?

/ TC30 Keep it in 4WD? #1  

ksshooter

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30
I have now had the tractor 10 days and I have a long weekend coming up to get some work done with it.:thumbsup: Previous owner says he "JUST LEFT IT IN 4WD". I have not done much with it so far but what I have done is in 4WD.
What do you guys do? Leave it in 4WD or use it only when needed?:confused:

/ TC30 Keep it in 4WD? #2  
I use 4WD only when needed. I don't want the extra wear on the front end components.

/ TC30 Keep it in 4WD? #3  
I see no sense in unnecessary wear and tear on the drive train, so I run my Deere 4400 in 2WD most of the time.

/ TC30 Keep it in 4WD? #4  
I have now had the tractor 10 days and I have a long weekend coming up to get some work done with it.:thumbsup: Previous owner says he "JUST LEFT IT IN 4WD". I have not done much with it so far but what I have done is in 4WD.
What do you guys do? Leave it in 4WD or use it only when needed?:confused:

Leave it in 2wd. I live in really hilly country and never put mine in 4wd unless I have to.

Also never run 4wd on a paved type road. It will eventually tear up/wear out the front unit.

/ TC30 Keep it in 4WD? #5  
I leave my tractor in 4wd most of the time. If I am going to drive on a road or mow on flat areas, I put it into 2wd, but anytime I'm doing work with the loader I am in 4wd. One of the specific reasons for buying a tractor with 4wd is to use it with a loader. Rather that shift-in/shift-out all the time, my tractor stays in 4wd most of the time. After all, what are you saving the drivetrain for? The next guy to own your tractor? I have 1700 hours on my tractor, most of it in 4wd.

BTW: Sweep says he rarely uses 4wd, but he forgets to mention that his tractor has no front-end loader. That's a big difference to loader tractors with so much weight on the front that the rear wheels lose traction. Loaders and 4WD on compact tractors go hand-in-hand.:)

EDIT: One final thought. If you have a 4wd tractor, every component of the 4wd drive rotates when you drive in 2wd. The only thing you save is slight rotational stress between the rear wheels and front wheels. You also make the front axle and drivetrain components turn by rolling force instead of driven force in 2wd, but the whole geartrain and differential rotates the same in 2wd as in 4wd.

/ TC30 Keep it in 4WD? #6  
I leave mine in 2wd most of the time and only use 4wd when needed for traction or heavy loader work. There is a definite difference in turning. Much more scrubbing of the tires on sharp turns in 4wd.

/ TC30 Keep it in 4WD? #7  
My old tractor, I used 2wd most of the time, kinda like my 4x4 pickup. But, after years of off-roading, I also usually knew when to put it in 4x4 early.

My TC40D, I leave in auto 4x4 mostly.

One big thing to remember, is you have no brakes up front. If you are working on inclines/hills, then 4x4 also gives you front braking, albeit thru the drivetrain connection to the rear axle/brakes. 4x4 is good then, so you dont just skid down the hill with locked rear brakes.

/ TC30 Keep it in 4WD? #8  
Like a lot of subjects her on TBN, you will get a lot of different answers. But for me I leave it in 4wd most of the time. It goes in 2WD when driven extensively on the road, or doing a lot of turning on pavement, to prevent binding/tire scrubbing. But most of the time I am off road, on steep slopes and doing loader work, so it is 4WD for me. One fun trip down a hill in 2WD with a loader full of gravel was enough to make a believer out of me on the braking thing. Leave it in 4 wheel unless you are on a hard flat surface, or your field work is mostly flat and you don't need the traction or braking. Just my 2 cents.

James K0UA

/ TC30 Keep it in 4WD? #9  
Leave mine in 2WD most of the time. Vast majority of tasks don't need 4WD. If your going to need it frequently for a task, just leave it in most of time. Constant 4WD does create stress in the drive train, more scuffing when turning, greater turning radius, and more tire wear ect. These factors are maginified even greater with an empty FEL or front weights on the tractor. If you need 4WD, then use it. If you forget to disengage it for a few days, no big deal. It is not uncommon when disengaging the MFWD, that the lever is difficult to move. Back up a bit and easy to disengage. That is because of the stress built up in the drive line. The front and back do not rotate perfectly the same and creates the stress in the drive line. Effect is greater when the front wheels wear faster than the rear which is the norm on MFWD.

Our ag tractors are all MFWD. If 4WD is engaged, they are designed to disengage when turning. I can push a button to make them permanently engaged but it is not recommened when turning. Really noticeable if turn when MFWD is engaged. Same with the CUT, but the effect is less noticeable due to much less overall weight and smaller front tires.

If I lived in hilly terrain, then I could see the benefit (safety) of just leaving it engaged all the the time.

MFWD is like a 4WD ATV. Not many recommend leaving an ATV or side by side in constant 4WD.

/ TC30 Keep it in 4WD? #10  
I think it comes down to the type of work you do and the type of soil you are on. I leave mine on 2WD mostly, but then use it mostly on nearly level ground mowing. Some loader work, but not much.