Taxes on tractors

/ Taxes on tractors #1  

Indian Territory

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland PowerStar 75
I realize the answers to this question will vary by state, but I’m curious what kind of yearly property taxes people budget to pay on their tractors. I’m in the tractor buying process, and don’t want to get into a bad situation because of variables I failed to anticipate.

/ Taxes on tractors #3  
No tractor taxes here either, other than Maine's 5.5% sales tax rate.

Just so happens that our friendly neighboring state does not have sales tax. If our dealer delivered the tractor to Maine I'd being paying 5.5% of $42k to the state, even though I was "potentially" buying the tractor out of state regardless. However, if I brought a trailer and trucked it myself, who knows where I'm towing it to, and mum's the word on Maine's BS sales tax. Well worth the $300 of fuel.

Live Free or Die 🤘

/ Taxes on tractors #4  
Unless you have a farm or business, there is a 6% sales tax on tractors here in PA.

/ Taxes on tractors #5  
Unless you have a farm or business, there is a 6% sales tax on tractors here in PA.

Businesses still pay 6% in PA.
Farmers are excused from paying 6%.

/ Taxes on tractors #6  
No tractor tax here.

/ Taxes on tractors #7  
Ag exemption on sales tax in TX. No personal property tax. Looks like OK is one of only a few that still do that...

/ Taxes on tractors #8  
No property tax in Utah or Idaho on tractors. If it's for Ag use then no sales tax.

/ Taxes on tractors #9  
No property tax on personal property like tractors in Iowa but we did have a luxury tax on dogs and boats many decades ago. I think the amount was $10 each.

/ Taxes on tractors #10  
There are no "yearly" property tax on tractors unless the particular state requires a title and license plate. This will vary and is only 1 or 2 states.

There is an initial "sales tax" buying new. Some states have reciprocal tax, meaning if you buy from out of state (adjoining state) they may collect the sales tax for your state or the state you are buying it in..... You can choose which state is lower and use that amount. BUT... it is a one time charge.

Other states do not 'reciprocate' sales tax. But the catch to not paying the sales tax is if it is only shipped out of state by a licensed carrier with a bill of lading.

The best way to find the CORRECT answer to your questions is to contact YOUR states Dept. Of Revenue and Taxation.

You will get a ton of responses here, all mostly good.... they just may not apply to your situation.