Tall walkway/post questions?

/ Tall walkway/post questions? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I have 100ft long sidewalk on top of a retaining wall just over 5ft wide and just over 6ft above a horse barn behind garage.
I had the construction co leave the 6x6 treated posts up, 12 of them 30" long.
What I want to do is get either six 10ft or 12ft 6x6 treated posts and cut them in half.
I'll then parallel them to 30" posts fastening each with three 1/2" galvanized carriage bolts, nuts & washers, staggered so one close to bottom, one close to top, one middle offset. Of course, level...all straight.
I have over 100ft of 1/4" chain, 1" links I'll go between. Mainly safety...no fun falling >6ft.
I'm thinking ordering large galvanized screw eyes, chain at 4ft. up. I don't want to drill big holes through posts at top for chain.
Is this a good idea, or better thoughts?
Thanks....
20220520_173301.jpg
20220520_173200.jpg
20220520_173140.jpg
2022_05_20_17.45.31.jpg

/ Tall walkway/post questions? #2  
Your idea (y) or dill 1 1/2"-2" hole in post end also PT post end insert thick wall pipe.

/ Tall walkway/post questions? #3  
With the price of lumber these days, you don't need 6x6 extensions, 4x4 would be adequate. Your eyebolts would be fine but would allow slack to slide back and forth. I would just fasten the chan with 5/16" lag screw and washers.

Your chain is not galvanized. It will rust and the rust will drip down and stain the concrete.

/ Tall walkway/post questions?
Around here 6x6s aren't much more than 4x4s. Didn't consider rust...so either paint it or fasten on outside of posts. It would drip down to a gravel 4ft walkway.

/ Tall walkway/post questions? #5  
I suggest you check around for safety railings and see what is used elsewhere. My wife worked in the architectural design area many years ago so it may have changed. But . . . The top safety railing should be at 42" and a solid rail, and at least one more (two would be better) below the top rail.

/ Tall walkway/post questions? #6  
I have 100ft long sidewalk on top of a retaining wall just over 5ft wide and just over 6ft above a horse barn behind garage.
I had the construction co leave the 6x6 treated posts up, 12 of them 30" long.
What I want to do is get either six 10ft or 12ft 6x6 treated posts and cut them in half.
I'll then parallel them to 30" posts fastening each with three 1/2" galvanized carriage bolts, nuts & washers, staggered so one close to bottom, one close to top, one middle offset. Of course, level...all straight.
I have over 100ft of 1/4" chain, 1" links I'll go between. Mainly safety...no fun falling >6ft.
I'm thinking ordering large galvanized screw eyes, chain at 4ft. up. I don't want to drill big holes through posts at top for chain.
Is this a good idea, or better thoughts?
Thanks....
View attachment 747321View attachment 747322View attachment 747324View attachment 747328

It will work. But, as others have mentioned there are some small issues with it but it will work fine.
I would consider just using 2x4's boring a hole in the top and running a pipe rail throgh the top,
and a mid board if desired.
Or go with your plan and get some plastic chain, much of that is rated for 200 #.

/ Tall walkway/post questions? #7  
If it was me, I would get a one inch auger drill bit and drill into the top of the 6x6 posts as far down as the drill bit will go. Then I would put a length of 3/4 galvanized pipe in that hole with a T at the top. Then I would run a 3/4 galvanized pipe from that T to the next post and do it again and again.

/ Tall walkway/post questions? #8  
I like to "lean" on my porch railing. It is hard to lean on chain, LOL. I'd put 2x6s up alongside those posts with more 2x6s laid flat on the vertical 2x6s.

/ Tall walkway/post questions? #9  
image.jpg

/ Tall walkway/post questions?
Thanks...but I'm trying to use what I have on hand. I already have chain (3,200# load limit), galvanized bolts, etc.
I can get six 6x6x10ft treated at a good price & cut them in half. Chain at 42" sounds good.