Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #31  
The 024/026/260/261 saws are great. I'm stihl using the 024AV my Dad got back in the early 1980's. That family is a very well balanced saw to work with.

That 024 is stihl a hard working saw; the Pro series saw has more than earned its keep over the last 40 years...

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #33  
Lots of TBN'ers know a heck of alot about chainsaws....a whole lot more that I do. But many of us home owner types know what works for us. I really learn and enjoy these discussions.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #34  
FWIW a 20" bar lives on my 261. Mainly for limbing as it saves my back a bit but it has no issues buried in an oak or maple tree or log. Would a 60 or 70 cc saw be faster? Sure but at the cost of weight and $$. For kind of a do it all around the property saw the 261 is great. Keep the chain sharp and it will cut fine.
A good 50 cc saw will certainly run a 20" bar, and if you bury it in Oak or Maple, it will still cut if the chain is sharp. (Been there, done that. If it's the saw already in my hands, sure, I'll use it for a cut or two.) However, in order to say it has "no issues" with that sort of use, you need one more thing: patience.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #35  
I’m down to a 462C or a MS500i to replace my Makita/Sachs, looking at clean used ones, but chainsaws are something I don’t like buying used.

The 261C cuts & screams above it’s size.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #36  
I’m down to a 462C or a MS500i to replace my Makita/Sachs, looking at clean used ones, but chainsaws are something I don’t like buying used.

The 261C cuts & screams above it’s size.

I’ve got a 500 and it’s a really good saw. You wouldn’t be disappointed with that option.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #37  
I’ve got a 500 and it’s a really good saw. You wouldn’t be disappointed with that option.
$150 more than 462 but you get .8 more HP and same weight

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #38  
$150 more than 462 but you get .8 more HP and same weight
You'll forget the $150 real quick, but you'll remember the extra horsepower every time you use it.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #39  
A good 50 cc saw will certainly run a 20" bar, and if you bury it in Oak or Maple, it will still cut if the chain is sharp. (Been there, done that. If it's the saw already in my hands, sure, I'll use it for a cut or two.) However, in order to say it has "no issues" with that sort of use, you need one more thing: patience.

Im not saying its the best option if you're regularly cutting wood that size but for most property owners its more than capable. Its also really not that slow, just cant horse it. Id rather carry around a 261 all day and maybe take a few more seconds to cut a big oak or maple tree than lug around a heavier saw just to save a few seconds on a handful of cuts. Obviously it all depends on the needs of the user.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #40  
Im not saying its the best option if you're regularly cutting wood that size but for most property owners its more than capable. Its also really not that slow, just cant horse it. Id rather carry around a 261 all day and maybe take a few more seconds to cut a big oak or maple tree than lug around a heavier saw just to save a few seconds on a handful of cuts. Obviously it all depends on the needs of the user.

This is so true. My 261 feels so feather light but with yellow chain cuts like a beast.

It IS a pro saw. Mugh more than a homeowner needs.