T7 backhoe cylinder help

/ T7 backhoe cylinder help #1  

bundyal

Tractor
Ford/Old
Ok yall . Ive got a 2002 T7.I love the machine but I need some help. The crowd cylinder needs replaced. Terramite wants $600 at least to replace it.Im not looking to spend that! The original was replaced a long time ago so I cant get the specs on it and the company wont give it up. The leaking one came from a boneyard and I dont believe its the right one altho it worked for awhile.Can anyone help a brother out?LOL. Again its the crowd cylinder on the backhoe.Thanks in advance.Bundy.

/ T7 backhoe cylinder help #2  
   / T7 backhoe cylinder help
I spoke with them 2 days ago and asked if they're gonna stay in business and they told me yes. The problem I have is I dont have the original cylinder. I may just have to measure the leaky one after all. Thanks for the info.

/ T7 backhoe cylinder help #4  
Just because a cylinder is leaking doesn't mean you have to replace it. Do some research on how to disassemble and rebuild them, it's all on the internet and youtube. It isn't too difficult and will save you $$.
Or take the cylinder off and bring it to a local hydraulic shop or even a local tractor dealer. If you do take it apart and need to order seals but can't figure the seal sizes, mail the seals to a hydraulic shop and have them match them up.
I walked into Devine Hydraulics here in CT with a handful of seals and they measured them and matched them up.

Below is a previous post about this subject.
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/219063-finding-seals-unknown-hydraulic-cylinders.html

/ T7 backhoe cylinder help #5  
I had good success replacing cylinders with generic ones from surplus center. I’d measure your existing and just order a replacement and or take yours apart and see if you can get seals. Only caveat is almost all the replacement cylinders uses different connects than the npt threaded ones terramite uses. Luckily they make adapters for everything. There is a previous thread with all the stock measurements that might help.

/ T7 backhoe cylinder help #6  
The crowd and the boom cylinders are the same. Your T7 uses the same as my T6. Should be part #81027. 3" bore, 1 1/2" rod, 24" pin centers closed, 40" extended. Cross tubes are 1 1/4" bore, butt end 3 1/2" long, rod end 3". Hope this helps.

/ T7 backhoe cylinder help #7  
Don't know about the T7 but I replaced all the seals on every cylinder on my T5 and for the most part was easy enough. The seal kits cost around 50 each from Terramite, or a hydraulic shop would know what to use

/ T7 backhoe cylinder help #8  
I’d be interested if someone could post seal part numbers for the different cylinders or at least measurements so people could order them from somewhere other Terraquip. There are about $10 in seals in each cylinder so paying $50+s&h hurts. I plan to do this as I take cylinders apart but haven’t gotten around to doing it yet.

/ T7 backhoe cylinder help
Terry's Terramite says the correct part# is #81190.Which doesn't help me any since I dont wanna pay $800.00+.I need to find the correct dimensions of the original cylinder so I can find one off brand,that is my problem.Its always something.I tried to get someone to straighten the bend in the piston rod so I could measure the stroke in the one I took off but nobody wants to do that.They all want to sell me a new cylinder! One guy says it'd take a week to get to it and then he could give me an estimate to straighten it.I told him I dont care if it gets dinged up as Im not using it again,it's just for measurement purposes. Then he says we've got a $100.00 minimum shop charge."WHAT??? All ya gotta do is put it in a press and squeeze it down" I thought to myself. "What ,maybe 15 minutes of work?" So,I didn't go there. Im still looking. I was tempted to buy one of those HF presses but ya gotta get on your knees to use them and they just dont look safe enough to me to risk 12 -20 tons of pressure to send a hunk of steel hurtling towards my forehead.
I buy quite a few of HF tools but nothing that'll kill or maim me!

/ T7 backhoe cylinder help #10  
If you go to the Terramite website you can download the T7 parts book. On page 2.41 it lists 81027 as the number for the boom and the crowd cylinders. My T6 book lists the same number and the dimensions I gave were measured off my cylinders that I just finished repacking. If you look in the parts book you have to be careful because that book also lists cylinders for T5's. If you don't want to believe me then measure your boom cylinder it's the same as used on the crowd.