Stump Grinding

/ Stump Grinding #1  

RjCorazza

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4060 Cab, ZD1211, ZD326
I finally pulled the trigger on a Baumalight 1P24 grinder. Took a few hours to uncrate and set it up, most of that time to measure and cut the pto shaft to length. I have had plenty of pto implements, but cutting the shaft was a first for me. Really no big deal, but it's definitely a "measure twice, cut once" deal.

Anyway, this grinder is awesome! I did 6 stumps today ranging in size from 12" to several 36-48" stumps. The large stumps took less than 30 minutes each, including grading. Smaller stumps around 10-15 minutes. I have two jobs lined up for about $1300 total (12 stumps), and my goal is to at least cover the grinder's cost this spring.

I did find Baumalight's operational technique description somewhat lacking. It definitely makes a difference which side of the stump you start grinding on, which they don't mention. The grinder runs SIGNIFICANTLY smoother with less chatter and bouncing if you start on the right side of the stump as viewed if you were standing behind and facing the tractor. Left side of the stump while in the tractor looking backwards.
Here's a few photos...
IMG_4159.jpg

IMG_4157.jpg

IMG_4158.jpg

/ Stump Grinding #2  
My old brain and eyes get confused easily. Let's see............I'm sitting on the tractor seat......I look over my right shoulder......Now start grinding on the right side of the stump. Seems like I got confused when I first got my stump grinder several years ago. Haven't ground many since I first had it.....but....do remember that it makes a differece.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Stump Grinding
My old brain and eyes get confused easily. Let's see............I'm sitting on the tractor seat......I look over my right shoulder......Now start grinding on the right side of the stump. Seems like I got confused when I first got my stump grinder several years ago. Haven't ground many since I first had it.....but....do remember that it makes a differece.

Cheers,
Mike

Looking over your right shoulder, start grinding on the left side of the stump.

/ Stump Grinding #4  
Thanks Rj.......Guess.....I better start looking over my left shoulder....must be my dislexia.

Here's a pic of doing it the "hard way".....until I can hook up the grinder.....

Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 68
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
   / Stump Grinding #5  
Just bought a Worksaver myself but then it takes some serious pto power to run one. It's hydraulic swing with a pto driven carbide tipped wheel.

/ Stump Grinding #6  
Tractor time with tim had videos showing the grinder too.