Stretched Fence

/ Stretched Fence #11  
Wire stretcher:
I also have an inherited one but it has two double blocks with rope and a lock that will hold it tight. Each end has a chain with a cam lock device on the end which will lock on to the wire. The length depends on how much rope you use. It's probably 80+ years or older. Still use it as a block and tackle set up.

Egon

/ Stretched Fence #12  
Egon,
Sounds like you got a good one/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif They are real handy. I used mine once to pull the four speed out of my truck. Hung it over a 4x4 between the dash and the back of the seat. Jacked it right thru the head liner, hole is still there.
Al

/ Stretched Fence #13  
Dang it, Al! Now ya got me searching through my pictures to see which fence stretcher I have. Unfortunately, it's on one of the less photogenic walls, and the only shot I could find is in the background of a ROPS rack picture. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif Not much detail, but I'm guessing from the attached pict that it's the economy model like yours.

<font color=blue>Can I drop by and just nose around your place for a bit.</font color=blue>

Absolutely!
smile.gif
Just head south about 600 miles, hang a left and look for an orange tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 8-97701-FenceStretcher.jpg
    8-97701-FenceStretcher.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 71
   / Stretched Fence #14  
Mike,

They make splices for the fence, but it takes a $65 tool to make the splice, or like was mentioned just go pull it tight at the corner posts.

/ Stretched Fence #15  
MikeFla There also is a crimping tool (about the size of bolt cutters) that can be used to crimp a short splice coupling over two wires. The wire ends slide into the coupling, and you crimp it closed. Works great when tightening, repairing, and working away from the ends of the fence. Also good for older wire that will not bend so well to make a good splice. (delays putting up new wire a bit). I used to have a lot of need for this tool, until I bought it and have hardly had a need for it since! Does it always happen this way? Wash the car and it rains, build a better snow plow and it does not snow. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif But the fence doesn't need fixing, so that is good.

/ Stretched Fence #16  
I'm from the originally from the west coast. Out there they use stretching posts every 100' or so. A stretching post is two posts set in the line 6 or 8 feet apart tied together with crossbars and twisted wires. These make it really handy to repair just a section of fence when you strung it too tight and it pops a wire when it freezes or some dumbass kid slides a car through it. Or a horse leans on it. I bet you're wishing someone had told you about stretching posts before you made that 330' run, ain't ya? ;) I've tightened fences the way you have it pictured, the only problem with it is the way you have it zig zagged you gave the wire leverage to pull the staples out the next time the horse leans on it. Or you climb the fence. A couple of extra staples might slow this down, hell, it might never give you a problem the way it is. The only way to fix it right is to tighten the whole thing, but with that kink in the wire you have a weak spot and it sure is hard to judge how tight is tight enough and how tight is too much. The weight of that much wire would play hell with feeling the tension. I'd leave it and if it gives you problems, sink another post near the one you have it zeed on and build a stretching post. That way you can tighten both ways.

/ Stretched Fence
A collective thanks to all of you for your ideas. I think I will pick up a fence stretcher and splice it by hand.

Like Hillbilly said a few posts ago, the only way to prevent this in the future is to run electric on the top.

/ Stretched Fence #18  
Another way easier solution Mike is just to run a new strand of high tensile wire there. Put a strainer and tightener and you are set for life. Anytime it comes loose like that you just tighten it back up with the tightener that is already there. That's why I love high tensile. Once it's up repairs are a piece of cake.

/ Stretched Fence #19  
I have never seen a horse or cow that electric would not correct there bad habits,let them get against it a couple of times.....you could even unplug the fencer for a few days after the realize what it feels like to get against the electrified wire and under observation if they return to the undesired habit just plug the fencer back in and remind them.

/ Stretched Fence #20  
here is what i was talking about on the fence i helps keep it tight

Attachments

• 8-98441-hi_ten_ins_fig10.jpg
    8-98441-hi_ten_ins_fig10.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 75