Oil & Fuel Storing Fuel

/ Storing Fuel #21  
I have heard that, and in a pinch I have used my diesel to keep my house from running out of oil, but I am not clear enough on the differences to risk damaging my tractor. My guess is that it is almost identical...

/ Storing Fuel
I finally found some online at usahardware.com. $8.99 for a 5 gallon poly can. Lowes online showed they has some as well, but when I went to order, the message indicated none were available locally.

/ Storing Fuel #23  
If you have one around, I know Lowes has yellow 5 gallon containers for Diesel.......

Dave Herndon
Grover, NC

/ Storing Fuel #24  
I'm in New York; no service station has ever questioned the
fact that I'm using red containers for diesel; may be that we
don't have that law (if there was, my guess is that there
would be some sort of sticker or warning on the fuel pump
saying to use only xxx colored container).

I have seen multi colored containers at True Value hardware
stores - blue for Kerosene, yellow for diesel.

/ Storing Fuel #25  
I've used diesel in a torpedo heater because it actually smelled less. No problems with it either.
Chris

/ Storing Fuel #26  
I'm no expert here, but I've also used diesel in the boiler of my pressure washer because the instructions call for either to be used. However, I'm pretty sure that diesel often has injector cleaner in it and the sulfur content may be less regulated than K1 kerosene. Some experts here in the forum have even talked about additives being put into diesel to keep it from freezing. I'm not fond of breathing fumes from any kind of kerosene heater, but I have to believe that the fumes from diesel are even worse. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could enlighten us on this subject./w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

JimI

/ Storing Fuel #27  
I use a black 55 gal drum, that I got from a local business, and marked it 'Diesel Fuel' in yellow... After cleaning it out [using diesel fuel as the rinsing agent] I added a $19 pump from Harbor Salvage and 8' of clear tubing. This works out great as when the drum is empty I load it in my trailer and head to the local 'bulk' supply company to get their offroad dyed fuel. Savings are about 40 to 50 cents a gallon when you don't pay the road tax.

/ Storing Fuel #28  
While everyone is on the subject don't forget the plastic cans SUCK! Have about 6 myself because their so cheap. But the spout drips and leaks on every thing. And most don't even pour into a funnel without making a mess. I bought one of the Kerosene handpumps for a few bucks and have really saved on messes. Thinkin' of getting an electric one for myself for Christmas. Keep in mind while picking up the plastic.

/ Storing Fuel #29  
Why is the handle on the diesel pumps green? I would assume that the diesel containers should keep the same convention to help reduce confusion.

/ Storing Fuel #30  
Well ... obviously you just don't understand/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif I'm sure it must be a guvmint thing ... it would make way too much sense for them to be the same. and do you really expect what may be 2 different guvmint entities to actually speak to each other? let alone coordinate something that would help eliminate confusion in the general public? C'mon .. how do you think we justify our jobs???/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
(which is why it's so hard to get rid of a gubmint employee)/w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif
mike