Oil & Fuel Storing Fuel

/ Storing Fuel #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
What do you store your diesel fuel in?

Can it be stored in the same kind of containers used for gasoline, e.g., red, plastic cans?

For my 16 hp Wheel Horse, I use two five gallon plastic containers and thought I'd go buy 2 more and store diesel in them. Is this OK or are there special containers for diesel fuel?

My TC25D will be first diesel engine I've owned.

Thanks,
Mike

/ Storing Fuel #2  
Mike,

The standard color for diesel fuel containers is yellow, and plastic material is fine. I use a 5-gallon plastic container - it works fine because the fuel tank on my tractor is only 6.3 gallons. I prefer to buy fuel only as I need it, and store it in the fuel tank instead of in the container. There have been some more detailed discussions on this in the past - try searching in the "Oil, fuel, & Lubricants" discussion area, with keywords 'diesel' AND 'container', or something like that, and you'll find more complete information.

It's only 1.1 liters, but I think that diesel engine in my Kubota is the coolest piece of equipment I own /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

Enjoy your TC25D/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Rob

/ Storing Fuel #3  
As Wheeldog stated standard color is yellow, but I use a blue plastic 5 gallon can. I got a good price on the blue jug and the most important thing is to not get the gas and diesel mixed up. Red can gas, blue can DIESEL (Even though it should be yellow)

/ Storing Fuel #4  
One more thing in case it comes up...you should never put diesel in a galvanized container. The fuel will react with the Zinc. I got my 5 gallon yellow diesel containers at Wal-Mart for only 6 bucks.

/ Storing Fuel #5  
Just because no one has mentioned it..../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
The blue containers are really for K1 kerosene used as heating oil, Banjobj. If you never buy kerosene, you are probably pretty safe putting diesel fuel in one of those, but I have several kerosene heaters and so I try to keep my colors straight and not mix them. I suspect if I ever got diesel in one of my heaters, it might put off some really noxious fumes and I'd probably have to change the wick. Anyhow I have a 55 gallon drum for K1 that is also blue and I fill it and then tap off into smaller containers for day-to-day use. Somtimes you can buy kerosene in white containers, but they always have a blue label. This is probably way more info than you need, but I think we have covered all the colors of fuel containers (liquid, that is).

JimI

/ Storing Fuel
I just checked Wal-Mart, Pep Boys and AutoZone. Plenty of red gasoline containers but no diesel ones. I'll check Tractor Supply next.

/ Storing Fuel #7  
Jim, You are correct I should be using a yellow container. I don't need to buy K-1, so I guess my blue jug will be O.K. Thanks for the correction. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/ Storing Fuel #8  
I got two five gallon red containers for my diesel and just
wrote "diesel" in large black marker on all of the sides so
that they are not confused with the gas containers

/ Storing Fuel #9  
I checked Tractor Supply, auto-parts stores, hardware stores, lumber yards, in our town and nobody had a yellow fuel can. I finally marked two red cans with "Diesel" in big black letters and that will have to do for now.

/ Storing Fuel
Thanks for the info. I wont bother visting TSC.

Does anyone know of a place online that sells them?