Stihl 194

/ Stihl 194 #12  
I had exactly the same problem with my hedgetrimmer. It would start OK & tick-over forever but died when I touched the throttle. I must have had the carb apart four times to clean it out but the last time it was stripped I noticed the fuel line had perished and was swollen inside to almost close the tube. I bought a replacement kit of 3 tiny hoses complete with grommet and new filter on Amazon for a few bob and problem cured.

/ Stihl 194 #13  
Not surprised if you run fuel with ethanol there would eventually be a carb problem. Agreed with those citing the spark screen as another potential cause. I run a bit more oil in the mix than most and I have had a spark screen get plugged.

But even though I run only non-ethanol 91 fuel in all my small engines (lucky that the station down the road sells it as their marked fuel) I have had a carb give me the same conditions: start, idle, no work.

Unless you were to rebuild the carb yourself, a new carb assembly is the least expensive way to go. You can burn the screen clean if you find it gummed up.

/ Stihl 194 #14  
Something that happened so fast and is very consistent in idling well but sec you hit throttle it dies, it's a carb issue.

You stated it was just under 2 yrs and you do not run it much, plus you use E based gas...if the H2O separated out, then rust, your carb is prob clogged somewhere....

My recommendation is to buy a new carb and replace, Then you can troubleshoot the current one as a back up...

Good luck and let us know how it goes/

Go Astros !!!!!

/ Stihl 194 #15  
To me it sounds like an air leak in the carburetor/intake system or a leaking crank seal

/ Stihl 194
OP HERE. Thanks for all of the replies and YouTube. Took the carb off, and the plate that has just one screw(at least on this carb) there is a super fine screen, about the size of a pea. It was COMPLETELY clogged over. Dental pick and some air and all is well. Just got to tinker with throttle screws that got out of wack with early on fixin.

/ Stihl 194 #18  
OP HERE. Thanks for all of the replies and YouTube. Took the carb off, and the plate that has just one screw(at least on this carb) there is a super fine screen, about the size of a pea. It was COMPLETELY clogged over. Dental pick and some air and all is well. Just got to tinker with throttle screws that got out of wack with early on fixin.
Actually fairly common with all brands of saws. The in carb screen is finer than the fuel filter in the tank. Basically the internal screen is 100 micron and the fuel filter is 175 micron.

/ Stihl 194 #19  

Was it this bad?

Usually when a tank filter has fallen off or line with hole in it though or filter not tight to fuel line. Pretty common to see.

plinesc.JPG

/ Stihl 194
Was it this bad?

Usually when a tank filter has fallen off or line with hole in it though or filter not tight to fuel line. Pretty common to see.

View attachment 768679
OP Filter seemed to be in good shape, changed anyhow. There was an honest 1/16” thick crust completely covered the screen. Used a dental pick to scrape out, then blow gun.