Stihl 194

/ Stihl 194 #1  

Tarnold

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ls 3038h, ford 1900
Ran perfect last time. Now, starts first pull and will idle forever. BUT as soon as I pull the trigger it dies. Restarts first pull, idle but can’t pull trigger.
Ideas?

/ Stihl 194 #2  
Open L side up some.

How old and do you run ethanol mix?

/ Stihl 194
Less than 2 years, I’m 77 and don’t run them much. Yes to ethanol.

/ Stihl 194
Opps, fat fingers it’s a 193 and it’s no ethanol.

/ Stihl 194
This unit doesn’t have a screen, just a little baffle screwed on the side of the muffler. Tried running with baffle on and off, no difference. Checked fuel lines and can see no cracks. Ran H and L screws in most any combination and no constant high speed. Seems like the H screw only has about 3/4 turn in to out. Is that right?

/ Stihl 194 #7  
Change the spark plug. Most likely not the problem but worth a try. I’ve had one spark plug fail and it was a Stihl MS 250. It would also idle but not rev up well. If you have the muffler off take a look in the exhaust port and make sure the piston isn’t scored. After that I’d take a look at the carb, take it apart and look for dirt and put it back together.

Last edited:
   / Stihl 194 #8  
I'd try replacing the fuel filter on the pickup tube in the fuel tank.

/ Stihl 194 #9  
IPL shows 2 mufflers. 1 has a spark screen behind the deflector held by 1 fastener and hinge.

If that checks out I still think open L some. See it so many times when the diaphragm starts getting old and stiffing up.

Little stihls I even see it on new ones as tune is so lean.

/ Stihl 194 #10  

Something I try in everything before tearing it apart is the Mechanic in a bottle. Best stuff I have found . Even Walmart carries the stuff now . Follow the directions and within a hour I bet it will run . Make sure your chain break is off and air cleaner not plugged . I think MIB is the best stabilizer for gas also . Good luck 👍