Stick Removal

/ Stick Removal #1  

TimberXX

Platinum Member
Tractor
BCS 770 Italian 2 Wheel Tractor, Grillo 107d, BCS 853, Deere x350, Deere x730
I have a bunch of old growth trees that drop hundreds of sticks every wind Storm. I've been picking them up manually with the kids. It's a 4 hour job.

I need a better solution, but can't figure the right tool. I'm thinking:

Take a used walk behind leaf blower and build an adapter for my Deere quick hitch. I have no idea how many horse power is needed.

PTO blower, which at $4000 plus isn't an alternative

Front mount sweeper, but I havent heard they can removal small sticks

Any other thoughts?

/ Stick Removal #4  
Circumstances surrounding trees, what tools you already own and how much you can afford to spend will help determine "best"solution.
Have you determined why sticks fall? Have you checked for twig girdlers?

/ Stick Removal #7  
I use my JD 750 riding mower. Sticks, twigs & pine needles. All blown together into rows. Gathered up with a manual lawn rake - put in a wheelbarrow - then to the trash pile.

/ Stick Removal
Thanks for the response guys.

• I don't think its a bug, it happens all winter. But I never knew that was a thing!
  • I have a landscape rake, but it tears up the lawn
  • I have a flail mower, but the twings are pretty low to the ground, but I like that idea!
  • Maybe the pinestraw rake is a good solution. the only issue is that I have a limited 1 pt, so it only comes up only 22 inches. those rakes look big!

/ Stick Removal #9  
I pick up the big ones 1" and up in early spring then thatch the yard with this the pick up the few piles with a 48: dethacher behind my cub cadet then vacuum with the trac vac

During the mowing season I mulch them if they are small.

/ Stick Removal #10  
First of all you don't say how much area.
But for "twigs" up to about a half inch in diameter I just mow them.
The flail mower should do the job.