Starship News

/ Starship News
Restacked booster 9 and ship 25 .

Elon's X post, Makes it sound
like the only thing needed is a Federal launch approval.
It does seem SpaceX is ready to launch.

Booster should have a better chance of maintaining control this time.
SpaceX dropped the hydraulic vector control and has switched booster 9 to full "Electric Thrust Vector Control" of each individual Raptor.
Good redundancy hopefully.

The last launch there was no engine Vector control because the Hydraulic Control Unit exploded shortly after launch- wiping out any possibility of controlling the rockets flight path.
New fire control system plus new vent holes and Flight Termination system are installed.
Hot staging ring is integrated as well.

Lets Go FAA.

Kick the tires and Light the Fires...

/ Starship News #92  
I saw a post on Friday that said that FAA has completed its review and is requiring Space-X to make 63 changes. This included changes to the launch pad, the rocket, some safety systems. It looks like Space-X has made a good deal of these changes already, not sure how many more they have to go and what it will take to get the FAA to sign off on the changes.

/ Starship News #93  
I saw a post on Friday that said that FAA has completed its review and is requiring Space-X to make 63 changes. This included changes to the launch pad, the rocket, some safety systems. It looks like Space-X has made a good deal of these changes already, not sure how many more they have to go and what it will take to get the FAA to sign off on the changes.
The report made it clear that the 63 changes were required, but not sufficient for launch approval and additional steps would be necessary.

Technically, the report was lead by SpaceX, with FAA participation. So my spin is that yes, the FAA will ask for more changes beyond what was in the report.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starship News #94  
Looks like more Federal agencies are delaying Starship with regulatory approval. The FAA required the deluge water system and now some environmental agencies are requiring review the deluge sysetm.

Ahead of the hearing before the U.S. Senate Subcommittee on Space and Science, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service told Spaceflight Now its regulatory approval process for the second Starship test flight could potentially last until the spring of 2024.

/ Starship News
SpaceX made their case in front of congress.

It was pointed out that further delays to launch approvals will hurt the US in the race getting back to the moon. testing is being slowed

China is also planning moon missions

Angry astronaut coverage and he makes good points about safety concerns with moving to quickly "as the world turns..."

/ Starship News #96  
Yes, well, it is not just the FAA after the last attempt.

SpaceX now has a number of three and four letter agencies investigating, with lots of citizens up in arms and vocal about the dangers of any launch from that facility. They are crossways with a lot of folks and I don't see it going away quickly, "space race" or not. I think that this is all a predictable result of a certain person's tendencies toward running fast and breaking things, and then, perhaps, asking for permission.

And, no, based on what has been shown, I personally don't expect the revised deluge system to be sufficient. If they fluff the next launch with more launched debris, I would expect them to either not get permission for a third launch at Boca Chica, or not for a long time, or both. The thing about needing lots of engines for thrust is that you actually need them to work at liftoff, as in almost all of them.

I think that there is a fair amount to work through on both sides of the fence, but that's just me...

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Starship News #97  
FAA is done with safety and is continuing on environmental in conjunction with the fish and wildlife service.

No earlier than mid November for second OFT - we'll see.

/ Starship News
Last edited: