Starlink

/ Starlink #3,791  
Heavy rain storms will also take out Starlink. I loose it quite often on severe thunderstorms.
Same with me. Modest or heavy rain takes StarLink out every time. Maybe 20 minutes on average. I can live with that. If necessary I use my cell phone as a hotspot for the duration of the Starlink outage.

/ Starlink #3,792  
Same with me. Modest or heavy rain takes StarLink out every time. Maybe 20 minutes on average. I can live with that. If necessary I use my cell phone as a hotspot for the duration of the Starlink outage.
Our dish seems to do well in rain and storms. I've only aware of one or two interruptions in the past few months of ownership. Dish Network on the other hand will drop during modest rainfall.

/ Starlink #3,793  
My cellular also goes out in heavy rainstorms.

/ Starlink #3,794  
Have had roaming for 2 months now and it is doing a lot better than our dsl ever did. I have it mounted with an unobstructed view and get usually around 70 mps down . Residential is still not available at our location

/ Starlink #3,795  
I was getting 200 Mbps down at 4 am last Friday morning according to speedtest.net. My son and I were both updating a game on our Xboxes. The servers seemed to be the bottleneck as everyone and their brother were getting updates for a game. My download maxed out a 100 Mbps according to the Xbox.

/ Starlink #3,798  
Very good thread!

We are in the process of building our retirement home and starting a little "hobby farm". The location of our property is rural, and cell service out there is non-existent. So I am looking at options for sure. My wife works from home, and is constantly on TEAMS calls, or Zoom meetings so connectivity is a must have for us.

I've been interested in Starlink since it first came out. I have no experience with it however, and I don't know anyone that has the service.

/ Starlink #3,799  
Very good thread!

We are in the process of building our retirement home and starting a little "hobby farm". The location of our property is rural, and cell service out there is non-existent. So I am looking at options for sure. My wife works from home, and is constantly on TEAMS calls, or Zoom meetings so connectivity is a must have for us.

I've been interested in Starlink since it first came out. I have no experience with it however, and I don't know anyone that has the service.
Check availability in your area on the Starlink website. I was on the waiting list for over a year before I received the dish.

/ Starlink #3,800  
For all of those complaining about slow Starlink speeds. Starlink here seldom delivers more than 50Mbps, yet I can stream video and keep up with most other internet chores without any problems.

Now here's a revelation: I just had Xfinity (Comcast) cable internet installed at a new-to-me house, and it's a gigabit connection. I've seen first hop speeds roughly 30% faster than that. But in regular day-to-day use, it's not that much faster than the Starlink connection. That's because the the rest of the network, and the servers doling out the media, are so overloaded they can't even begin to keep up with the gigabit connection.

So Starlink, even if it's you're only real choice for internet service, is still a pretty phenominal deal, even if you're "only" getting 50 Mbps.