Starlink

/ Starlink #1,911  
The voltage has little to do with modulation. The carrier is still 60 HZ.

/ Starlink #1,912  
The voltage has little to do with modulation. The carrier is still 60 HZ.
You are right, but..., indirectly, it does affect the ethernet signal as the transformer is a whopping big inductor and filters out the high frequency signals that they have tried to use in the past for Ethernet over power lines. There are devices that can "jump" the transformer to pass the signal, but the general problem was that the speeds weren't very high.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,913  
Have to hand it to Musk. So far he's delivered very little on Starlink but that isn't stopping him from starting to take orders for his new Starlink Premium service for $500 a month
Delivered very little?? That's a curious analysis. I think what they have put in place in terms of satellite infrastructure, ground station infrastructure around the world and the user terminal devices is quite a feat. It has revolutionized remote location network connectivity. Sounds like some bitterness built up somewhere causing a blurred view of the situation...

/ Starlink #1,914  
Delivered very little?? That's a curious analysis. I think what they have put in place in terms of satellite infrastructure, ground station infrastructure around the world and the user terminal devices is quite a feat. It has revolutionized remote location network connectivity. Sounds like some bitterness built up somewhere causing a blurred view of the situation...
Delivered enough to keep my family happy.

/ Starlink #1,915  
"
You are right, but..., indirectly, it does affect the ethernet signal as the transformer is a whopping big inductor and filters out the high frequency signals that they have tried to use in the past for Ethernet over power lines. There are devices that can "jump" the transformer to pass the signal, but the general problem was that the speeds weren't very high."

In back of my head i knew this to be the case, yet, Cell Tech uses packets, which can have corrections built in. A little bit of buffer and Check Sums and I see not a problem. "Slow," has to be defined. The wife and I don't ever expect of care if we can get HD TV. We have a very small TV. And we certainly don't care about 4K. But even at our lowly rates we can watch Netflix and do video conferencing. I can even watch Netflixs while the wife is video conferencing on Zoom, and we don't have drop outs. This is on a DSL 10 Mbsp down and a .5 up. If slow fits into that, I'm still all for it.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #1,917  
Transformers don't change the ac frequency. Just say'en. :)

/ Starlink #1,918  
Transformers don't change the ac frequency. Just say'en. :)
Transformers do block the high frequency signals used to send data over copper lines... Just say'en

/ Starlink #1,920  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_over_power_lines. Remember they are talking about non-redundant signal methods. Which we have the tech to do now. :)
From the article you linked:

"There have been many attempts worldwide to implement access BPL, all which have indicated that BPL is not viable as a means of delivering broadband Internet access. This is because of two problems: limited reach, and low bandwidth which do not come close to matching ADSL, Wi-Fi, and even 3G mobile. World major providers have either limited their BPL deployments to low-bandwidth connected equipment via smart grids, or ceased BPL operations altogether." [Emphasis added]