Starlink

/ Starlink #3,751  
My main obstructions are tall trees to the north and west, we are in a valley on the north slope. I do not do gaming and most of our use is surfing and video calls
Based on our experience here, my guess is that it won't make much of a difference to your uses.

When you did your scan, were you holding the phone at the exact height and location that you plan to install it? Small differences in height and location can make a big difference. With trees at the horizon, small changes in height can make a big difference.

FWIW: With our site, I had some tree obstructions as well (similar site to yours), and I ended up moving Dishy 250' or so eastward to reduce the impact of the trees. I was going for zero obstructions as this was early in the non-beta phase, and coverage at our latitudes was thin. With all of the extra satellites on station, I'm not sure that it would be worth doing now.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #3,752  
I have no obstructions but have had issues 3 days now. Mesh won’t connect to router, poor signal standing anywhere including next to the router. I have restarted all. I have unpaired and re paired the mesh. System is on UPS power.
So far support has said reboot everything. Looks to be a router issue. And the app is now different, they keep changing it.

/ Starlink #3,753  
Starlink closed my ticket and said it was network congestion. But the issue I reported was a weak WiFi signal that couldn’t keep any devices connected, including the mesh unit. Getting under 50% signal next to the router.
They also said they did SW update to my unit, which did fix the problem, sort of. Still not good signal strength but it’s not dropping out, and the mesh now works.

/ Starlink #3,754  
Starlink closed my ticket and said it was network congestion. But the issue I reported was a weak WiFi signal that couldn’t keep any devices connected, including the mesh unit. Getting under 50% signal next to the router.
They also said they did SW update to my unit, which did fix the problem, sort of. Still not good signal strength but it’s not dropping out, and the mesh now works.
Have you looked in the advanced debug section of the settings to see what the WiFi and network items look like?

How close is your nearest neighbor? Any chance of a WiFi spillover from there?

Bad WiFi can come from lots of things, not just the router. Is it possible to power down everything in your house except for Starlink (including your laptops) and see what your phone thinks next to the Starlink router? Then turn on just the mesh, and check at the mesh and at the base Starlink router again? And then power up more of the house?

Good luck.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #3,755  
One of my brothers installed Starlink a few weeks ago and so far he has been very happy with it.

/ Starlink #3,756  
Have you looked in the advanced debug section of the settings to see what the WiFi and network items look like?

How close is your nearest neighbor? Any chance of a WiFi spillover from there?

Bad WiFi can come from lots of things, not just the router. Is it possible to power down everything in your house except for Starlink (including your laptops) and see what your phone thinks next to the Starlink router? Then turn on just the mesh, and check at the mesh and at the base Starlink router again? And then power up more of the house?

Good luck.

All the best,

Peter
Under Settings - Advance, only options are:
Custom DNS
Bypass Mode
Factory Reset

/ Starlink #3,757  
Under Settings - Advance, only options are:
Custom DNS
Bypass Mode
Factory Reset
Sorry for the bad directions.
Try at the bottom of the main page "Advanced", then "Debug". Things had moved around since the last time I had used the app. To me, the new version does look easier for new users.

All the best, Peter

/ Starlink #3,758  
Got my Starlink Friday and got it set up. Speed is all over the place from 5 to 189 mps. Shows unobstructed view. What should you use for speed test. Plain speed test or advanced speed test on Starlink .

/ Starlink #3,759  
Got my Starlink Friday and got it set up. Speed is all over the place from 5 to 189 mps. Shows unobstructed view. What should you use for speed test. Plain speed test or advanced speed test on Starlink .
I always run the Starlink advanced test because it lets me parse out how Dishy to the ground station (via the Starlink router) is doing, and to have some data on the Starlink router to the rest of my network as separate pieces. If there is an issue, I dig into the outages (especially the sub 0.5 second ones), and the advanced debug statistics.

The trouble with other speed tests is that they measure from your phone/tablet/PC via the Starlink ground station to some site that is "nearby" to where the test site thinks your Starlink ground station is, which may or may not be accurate. Right now sites that are guessing my ground station location are off by a good 1,000 miles, and neither is close to my actual location.

I would give your setup a few days to settle in and allow Dishy and the router to get their local ducks in a row with regard to local obstructions, and best network settings.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #3,760  
Having trouble with my mesh unit continuously dropping out, so I unpaired it for now. Router been working ok without the mesh.