Starlink

/ Starlink #3,651  
It’s back, 40 min outage.

Mine shows searching 30:49
network issue 5:15

That was interesting. I had just driven home and parked the Tesla was going to plug it in to charge and my phone was not talking to the car so I rebooted the phone and everything was back to normal. the Charger and phone are on the WLAN through the Starlink router but most proximity commands are done through a second bluetooth channel. The outage must have disrupted my phone and the charger.??

It sucks that it went up again, but considering what I used to pay for Comcast internet a decade ago living in a metro area it still a great deal at $120. For the Starlink target audience there's really no arguing that it is a great solution at a still decent price. I mean... if a person has another ISP option that has comparable speed and monthly 1TB data allowance for less then they really should be using that. For rural folks like me with **** for other ISP options it is fantastic.

All I have to do is think back to my Hughesnet days to see how Good Starlink is. In the ~8 years we had it was never able to stream a video. I did try and it took 45 minutes to download 2 minutes of 144 resolution vid. You know you are up a creek when trying to order off of amazon or ebay and the connection times out Repeatedly....

Going to keep the Mobley active just in case there are more outages for Starlink .

Last edited:
   / Starlink #3,652  
Apparently occurred at my place too. Wasn't home, but the app shows a 38 min outage.

/ Starlink #3,653  
Same outage here, must have been quite wide spread.

/ Starlink #3,654  
Same outage here in TN. Working normal now.

/ Starlink #3,655  
There were reports from Canada, Australia and New Zealand. So, pretty big. Nothing in the space weather channels, so it looks like something Starlink did internally, or someone did to Starlink internally...

Glad to have it back.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #3,656  
Word is that an expired cert related to a ground station caused the outage. How a cert became a single point of failure is a puzzler. I'm sure someone will receive a beating and they'll change some procedures or design.

1. No single item should ever be cause for a full system outage. Redundancy. Resiliency.
2. Time for some alerts to be added. SRE...

/ Starlink #3,657  
We lost Starlink around 8:30 last night. I think that is the third outage in two years which is nothing compared to the number of outages we had with the cell based network or DSL.

It was raining but not enough to cause a problem with the signal. I powered the dish off and on which did not do anything then went out in the rain to see the orientation of the dish. The dish is now pointing east instead of north, which I thought/worried was the cause of the outage. I rebooted the dish again and it stayed pointing to the east. I think it was dumb luck, but after the second reboot, the link started working again. Overnight, something must have happened because my computer was not connected to the network.

This morning it is still raining but I went outside to check which way the dish was pointed and it is still to the east. Not sure it really matters since people installing the newer rectangular dishes on boats and RVs have been mounting the dish horizontally without a problem.

/ Starlink #3,658  
We lost Starlink around 8:30 last night. I think that is the third outage in two years which is nothing compared to the number of outages we had with the cell based network or DSL.

It was raining but not enough to cause a problem with the signal. I powered the dish off and on which did not do anything then went out in the rain to see the orientation of the dish. The dish is now pointing east instead of north, which I thought/worried was the cause of the outage. I rebooted the dish again and it stayed pointing to the east. I think it was dumb luck, but after the second reboot, the link started working again. Overnight, something must have happened because my computer was not connected to the network.

This morning it is still raining but I went outside to check which way the dish was pointed and it is still to the east. Not sure it really matters since people installing the newer rectangular dishes on boats and RVs have been mounting the dish horizontally without a problem.
The outage last night was a global outage. Lasted about 40 minutes.

/ Starlink #3,660  

- Outage was global. Elon posted on Twitter that it was an expired Certificate at one of the ground stations.
- East coast dishy's are being moved from pointing north to pointing east to take advantage of the satellites over the ocean that aren't being utilized to take the load off the satellites over the continent.