Starlink

/ Starlink #3,521  
True, but it also isn't uncommon for different manufacturers, their WiFi hardware, and their wifi drivers have different behaviors under similar network conditions. I've seen different vintage Samsung products behave differently. Ditto different versions of Android.

@KilroyJC there is also the option of gifting your wife an iPhone and an iPad...😀

All the best,

Peter
We are thinking of changing cellphone providers and the intended provider’s current smartphone offering is an iPhone 14.

now then, Mrs is not exactly an”technophobe“, but she and technology are *not exactly* on friendly terms. . . When I got her Moro-Z, she hated it, and after almost two years of BMC’ing about it, we switched to flip phones. about Two years after that, she started having problems with her Samsung tablet and began using the Droid as a WiFi device. Then about a year ago she began BMC’ing about the flip phone being a PITA because it didn’t have enough functionality (not her words…) so I recently reactivated the Droid on our cell account. . . This little episode has had her agitated again. . . Meanwhile:

————-UPDATE—————

I performed a factory reset and reattached everything to the network, and (—so far—) her devices are operating properly. We will see what happens when she wakes up this morning. . .

/ Starlink #3,522  
We are thinking of changing cellphone providers and the intended provider’s current smartphone offering is an iPhone 14.

now then, Mrs is not exactly an”technophobe“, but she and technology are *not exactly* on friendly terms. . . When I got her Moro-Z, she hated it, and after almost two years of BMC’ing about it, we switched to flip phones. about Two years after that, she started having problems with her Samsung tablet and began using the Droid as a WiFi device. Then about a year ago she began BMC’ing about the flip phone being a PITA because it didn’t have enough functionality (not her words…) so I recently reactivated the Droid on our cell account. . . This little episode has had her agitated again. . . Meanwhile:

————-UPDATE—————

I performed a factory reset and reattached everything to the network, and (—so far—) her devices are operating properly. We will see what happens when she wakes up this morning. . .
🤣
Thanks for the smile. I can relate. Big time, but I am sworn to secrecy.

The Starlink router is on another release. Starlink had me pull the ethernet adapter, and in I the first four hours, I don't see a difference. There are some recent posts about corrosion within the proprietary connectors by a knowledgeable EE , who believes it may be a combination of water, contact resistance, and the high power demands on the connector contacts. He also lays out some reasons on why you might want an Ethernet adapter, even if you don't use the Ethernet wiring (added surge suppression).

FWIW: You can reboot just the WiFi portion of the Starlink router.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #3,523  
🤣
Thanks for the smile. I can relate. Big time, but I am sworn to secrecy.

The Starlink router is on another release. Starlink had me pull the ethernet adapter, and in I the first four hours, I don't see a difference. There are some recent posts about corrosion within the proprietary connectors by a knowledgeable EE , who believes it may be a combination of water, contact resistance, and the high power demands on the connector contacts. He also lays out some reasons on why you might want an Ethernet adapter, even if you don't use the Ethernet wiring (added surge suppression).

FWIW: You can reboot just the WiFi portion of the Starlink router.

All the best,

Peter
I did get the Ethernet adapter, and it is installed simply so I don’t lose it 🤣😂 I think I have enough cable to relocate th unit from the laundry room to a central location in the house, I just need to find time to muck about in the crawl space and cut a hole in the wall and mount a plate for the wire to come out neatly.

I did not know that there was a way to reboot just the WiFi - thanks!

/ Starlink #3,524  
View attachment 783108
Well within specifications and much better than DSL, but not exactly fiber.

Happy customer here.

All the best,

Peter
Well I've got fiber. I was overjoyed at getting "100 up&down" for $55/month, so I didn't go the SL route.
Well my fiber started out with those speeds, but now during peak use times it drops to about 25 up&down :(

Still a lot better than the 7 down 0.7 up I used to get with my old DSL for about the same price.
I am very curious in what world starlink is faster than fiber. Fiber is typically approaching 1gbps, where starlink is under 100mbps.
The real world.

/ Starlink #3,525  
I haven’t run a speed test in a couple weeks, here is my result from th one I just did.

E691D77A-3DAA-4547-843D-07D95C57ECAB.jpeg

And to think we had to put up with DSL at 1.6/.04 for so many years!

/ Starlink #3,526  
A tad bit different then mine;
1677416665250.png

/ Starlink #3,527  
Oh yeah - I'm getting 106 up 4-10 down when nobody is on it... and bad internet connection warnings with sketchy voice and video at prime time. So you can say the product is oversold. Which is why we are pissed about getting a rate increase and a data limit this past year. Not exactly what we signed up for. If we quit can we loose our $700 investment. Cell pone is the only alternative we have.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #3,528  
Doesn't surprise me at all, maybe his lobbyist need to hold their hands out some more.

/ Starlink #3,529  
Doesn't surprise me at all, maybe his lobbyist need to hold their hands out some more.

/ Starlink #3,530  
Speaking of device disconnects. I've seen where different devices don't handle dhcp well,and when the time to renew comes alongs, sometimes they just don't renew and just drop their ip address. Mostly cheap older chips, typically 100Mb connection speeds, but have run into some that did 1Gb as well. Only fix for them was to static assign address.