Starlink

/ Starlink #2,152  
Short answer, no.

Slightly longer answer, if the delivery dates in your adjacent cells are different than at your house, it can be done. You may be able to plot it, by trying different locations (using Google plus codes) and seeing where the delivery date changes. It is time consuming. I did it to see how far away we were from a boundary into a cell that I knew had fewer than five residents as a plan B. Why? To see whether placing a second order for an address in that cell, and leaving it in that cell might work. Rumor has it that if you are within 1-2 miles of a cell boundary with a good sky view, it can work in the next cell over, but not to expect Starlink to help. In actuality, our Feb 9th 2021 order date, with an estimated ship date of "mid-2022" turned into a mid-February 2022 shipment, so we didn't go with plan B. Our boundary turns out to be about a mile as the crow flies, and I was able to get the cell boundary to within 100 yards.

Definitely a YMMV thing.

All the best,

Peter
does changing the shipping location change your date, or can you just mess around with out it updating every time. I would hate to loose my place in the cue.....

/ Starlink #2,153  
does changing the shipping location change your date, or can you just mess around with out it updating every time. I would hate to loose my place in the cue.....
THANK YOU!

This may be a really important detail. Let me clarify; don't do this when you are logged into your account. Do it as a guest, using your browser in private/incognito mode. I used a new private tab for each address, and the address for where I was going to use it.

Starlink shifted a bunch of delivery dates in late December '21 for people, like me, who had adjusted their use location. They moved mine from late '21 to "late '22/early'23" There was a huge outcry. They later readjusted the shipping dates and said it was a glitch. I wouldn't trust them not to mess with mine, even if it was a "glitch" or an "accident". So don't do this from your account, and absolutely use stealth/incognito/private mode on your browser. It might not matter, but why run the risk?

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Starlink #2,154  

This is about the 40 new Starlink SpaceX satellites that recently fell out of orbit because they got bogged down in space mud.

All vehicles tractors etc that have computer chips to make them work are at risk of emf storms.

/ Starlink #2,155  

This is about the 40 new Starlink SpaceX satellites that recently fell out of orbit because they got bogged down in space mud.

All vehicles tractors etc that have computer chips to make them work are at risk of emf storms.
Guess they needed the R1 satellite tires.

/ Starlink #2,158  
For those of you who are curious, here is a great post on how the ethernet adapter is put together. It appears that the router does have a two port switch on it, and sends signal back up the cable to the Ethernet adapter, where the ethernet is broken out.

The author speculates that this was done as so many users weren't using the port, which is certainly possible. The design would also be one way to have dual Ethernet channels for a higher bandwidth, say with premium. Fun to speculate.

Oh, and for anyone who is hiring telecom engineers, he is open to relocation. Currently he is in Kyiv. His CV is here.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Starlink #2,159  
For those of you who are curious, here is a great post on how the ethernet adapter is put together. It appears that the router does have a two port switch on it, and sends signal back up the cable to the Ethernet adapter, where the ethernet is broken out.

The author speculates that this was done as so many users weren't using the port, which is certainly possible. The design would also be one way to have dual Ethernet channels for a higher bandwidth, say with premium. Fun to speculate.

Oh, and for anyone who is hiring telecom engineers, he is open to relocation. Currently he is in Kiev. His CV is here.

All the best,

Peter
That's not the way I am interpreting it, its a 2 port switch, one is used to go out to dishy with poe, the other is for the aux ethernet connection, there are no other connections available.

/ Starlink #2,160  
Can the second generation router be placed in a sheltered place outdoors? Browsing the SL Reddit several folks report placing their router in a sheltered outdoor location. However, the specifications for the second generation router on the SL website are:
  • Operating Temperature: -22°F to +122°F (-30°C to +50°C)
  • IP54 rated (water resistant), configured for indoor use

I Interpret this to mean the router is not outdoor rated. I just received my replacement dish and router (the first one died) and I want to test it but my best option is to place the router outside because of issues getting the cable into the house. I can put the router on a sheltered porch where it will not get any exposure to rain or snow. What do you think?