Starlink

/ Starlink #2,141  
So frustrated, a work friend just got his dish, he put in an order after I was talking to him about it. He is a town over. :(
Availability is by cell, which is an approx 13 mile wide hexagon. Depending on how the company has laid them out your next door neighbor might be in a different cell and have the same situation.

That said, it seems like there have been tons of new orders in the last month or so, so I think things are opening up a bit. Remember though, Starlink has only about 2000 out of the eventual 12,000 sats (maybe 30,000) they will eventually have. This is why they are throttling the number of users. If they flooded the system with too many new users the service would crap out and that wouldn't serve anyone well.

/ Starlink #2,142  
The Starlink Ridgeline roof mount would have been an alternative but it's no longer available.

View attachment 736792
I did not want the dish on the roof ridge, or on the roof at all, and I did not like the looks of the mount. Having said that, my temporary installation is made from scarp 2x4s and is weighted down with heavy concrete edgers that are much heavier than bricks or pavers. It kinda looks like the photo but it is sitting on the part of our roof with a low slope.

It is ugly, but very hard to see, and it works. :D We had a nasty front come through this morning with very high wind gusts. Dishy was still up there and working. After the rain stopped I went and checked on Dishy and it had not moved. (y)

Shame Starlink is not still selling the ridge mount. Maybe people do not like the looks and were not buying. If my hacked mount works, that one would work.

Later,
Dan

/ Starlink #2,143  
Exterior Wall Cable Pass Through / Removable?

I'm getting a replacement dish and need to my recently received SL system. The initial installation was done by a satellie tv installer on a very cold and snowy day. He drilled a hole through the exterior wall, put the cable through and sealed it will silicon. Once I get the old cable back out through, I would like some kind of cable grommet or other solution that will allow me to remove the cable without damage if I should decide to send back the second dish (not all all sure it is going to work long term). The last time I looked the SL kit for doing this was back ordered and I need a solution sooner than it is likely to be available. One solution that might work is this cablecar pass though for boats.

Any other ideas?

/ Starlink #2,144  
Exterior Wall Cable Pass Through / Removable?

I'm getting a replacement dish and need to my recently received SL system. The initial installation was done by a satellie tv installer on a very cold and snowy day. He drilled a hole through the exterior wall, put the cable through and sealed it will silicon. Once I get the old cable back out through, I would like some kind of cable grommet or other solution that will allow me to remove the cable without damage if I should decide to send back the second dish (not all all sure it is going to work long term). The last time I looked the SL kit for doing this was back ordered and I need a solution sooner than it is likely to be available. One solution that might work is this cablecar pass though for boats.

Any other ideas?
The blue sea systems work well. I have used them a couple of times, but for home use, I think that you really want the cable going into a conduit that is waterproofed to the exterior wall, and won't drip inside the wall and rot it. You can use flexible conduit to make life easier, and then foam the conduit inside when you are done to waterproof it.
For my recent rewire, I terminated Starlink in an exterior box, like this;
1647216360735.jpeg

But I used cable passthrough big enough for Ethernet, which I now have to redo for the new Dishy router as the cable end is so much bigger. I may use the Blue Sea version. I then drilled a conduit hole from the back of the box into the house (using lots of caulk around the conduit penetration!). My router needed to be some distance from the house, so it needed its own box.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Starlink #2,145  
Keep in mind current events has SpaceX tied up with starlink security issues.

/ Starlink #2,147  
Some satellites got jammed so he has the SpaceX troubleshooting and reprogramming and I would expect looking at hardware solutions. Follow SpaceX if you're interested.

/ Starlink #2,150  
Is there anyway to see what cell your in?
Short answer, no.

Slightly longer answer, if the delivery dates in your adjacent cells are different than at your house, it can be done. You may be able to plot it, by trying different locations (using Google plus codes) and seeing where the delivery date changes. It is time consuming. I did it to see how far away we were from a boundary into a cell that I knew had fewer than five residents as a plan B. Why? To see whether placing a second order for an address in that cell, and leaving it in that cell might work. Rumor has it that if you are within 1-2 miles of a cell boundary with a good sky view, it can work in the next cell over, but not to expect Starlink to help. In actuality, our Feb 9th 2021 order date, with an estimated ship date of "mid-2022" turned into a mid-February 2022 shipment, so we didn't go with plan B. Our boundary turns out to be about a mile as the crow flies, and I was able to get the cell boundary to within 100 yards.

Definitely a YMMV thing.

EDIT: @forgeblast brought up a really important point. Do not try other addresses when logged in to your own account. I did the above as a guest, with a new, private, browser window for each location. (See below)

All the best,

Peter

Last edited: