Starlink

/ Starlink #1,741  
Up until recently all commercial gear used 2 fibers. 1 for send & 1 for receive. Some newer gear can use different wavelengths of light on the same fiber to only use 1 strand. But that's a bit less common.

No clue how the interconental type fiber is setup, but everything in an office building or data center until recently was 2 strands.
Yes its called Bidi, and its an edge case, he just wants to feel special here. 2 strand is still dominantly used everywhere. I have only seen bidi on building interconnects and its still rare as hell.

/ Starlink #1,742  
How long were you on the wait list and where are you located?

The information might provide some hope for others in your area.
Location is UP of Michigan.

I originally signed up for it in the summer of 2020 I believe and was able to put my deposit down in January of 2021.

/ Starlink #1,743  
Well, In the GPON World you dont use 2 fibers for anything. Unless you have a redundant fiber ring to the DSLAM. In the CO'S you will see some multimode but distance limits you will never see it leave the CO. I wouldn't make blanket statements based on a few applications like this "2 strand is still dominantly used everywhere."

Last edited:
   / Starlink
#1,744  
Elon Musk is Time Magazine 2021 Person of The Year

Elon Musk Is TIME's 2021 Person of the Year

iu

/ Starlink #1,746  
I got the best Christmas gift ever!! An email from Starlink telling me that my dish will be shipped on Dec 24 2021. I've never been so happy to spend $680 (plus the $129 deposit). Yeeha.🥳

I am so happy, even though the first come first served line is a bunch of BS. I ordered mine on Feb 21, 2021 and my SIL ordered his 3 weeks ago. We both got the same email this morning. But now I don't care because it's coming.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #1,747  
Starlink showed up today while I was at work. Son is off for Christmas break, so he texts me that it's here. Me trying to be smart, asks him he has it setup yet. He asks if he can, and I said of course. He did it and just ran the cable out a basement window and set it on the ground, working great so far, he's downloaded multiple games including one that is 100 gigabytes. Will get it mounted on the roof to get rid of a few obstructions from trees but for the time being I'm very happy. Now to go cancel Viasat.

Tim

/ Starlink #1,748  
Ordered February ninth...still waiting.

Oh just to rub salt in our wounds, our AT&T internet is currently down. It was having trouble starting at Thanksgiving and then proceeded to die totally about two weeks ago, taking internet service for two hundred other customers with it.

Rumor has it that AT&T is out of replacement parts, and is unwilling to airfreight the necessary replacement parts, so we are left with no service, and no estimated time of service restoration. How do you plan for "no time estimate for restoring your service""

The "explanations" have ranged from a car accident to trouble with the fiber to an ATM switch failure. What the issue is for real, I have no idea as practically every other person I speak with has a different "story" and a different estimate for when service will be restored. All the estimates have been blown through with no comment or explanation from AT&T personnel, despite numerous folks saying that they would follow up. Yeah, right...

What really annoys me is that nobody at AT&T is taking responsibility nor is anyone bothering to try to keep us in the loop on any progress. It feels like we are being mushroom farmed.

Already pricing Verizon 4G home internet and we will move our cell service over as well. Not that anybody at AT&T cares whether a customer leaves....

(Written while sitting in a cold, dark car in the rain on the side of a rural road where there is a fragment of cell service...)

And a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone here!

Peter

/ Starlink #1,749  

Oh just to rub salt in our wounds, our AT&T internet is currently down. It was having trouble starting at Thanksgiving and then proceeded to die totally about two weeks ago, taking internet service for two hundred other customers with it.

Rumor has it that AT&T is out of replacement parts, and is unwilling to airfreight the necessary replacement parts, so we are left with no service, and no estimated time of service restoration. How do you plan for "no time estimate for restoring your service""

The "explanations" have ranged from a car accident to trouble with the fiber to an ATM switch failure. What the issue is for real, I have no idea as practically every other person I speak with has a different "story" and a different estimate for when service will be restored. All the estimates have been blown through with no comment or explanation from AT&T personnel, despite numerous folks saying that they would follow up. Yeah, right...

What really annoys me is that nobody at AT&T is taking responsibility nor is anyone bothering to try to keep us in the loop on any progress. It feels like we are being mushroom farmed.

Already pricing Verizon 4G home internet and we will move our cell service over as well. Not that anybody at AT&T cares whether a customer leaves....

(Written while sitting in a cold, dark car in the rain on the side of a rural road where there is a fragment of cell service...)

Peter
unless you talk to an actual tech on the road doing the repairs, no one you call will have any idea what the issue is, nor will they prolly be allowed to tell you if they did.

i hope you didn't make a trip in a cold dark car to tell us this?

/ Starlink #1,750  

Peter
I feel for you we have Verizon dsl very slow, less than 2 mps on a good day lots of days internet just seems to be frozen in time, and our Verizon cell service is also very poor, we got a we boost and it helps some but lots of the time when trying to talk to someone they can not hear us very good but we can hear them. Also on the waiting list for Starlink since Feb. 9, no other options.