Starlink

/ Starlink #4,051  
Y'all have to read this article. You think worldwide internet travels by satellite? This is a story, a long, detailed and well written story about the companies that fix underwater cables across the world. Satellite internet is NOT the heavy hauler of data that keeps everything going. I should Capitalize EVERYTHING. Maybe one day things will change over to satellite but not anytime soon. Undersea cables are still the mainstay.

As many think Mr Elon is a jerk, he is/was definitely forward looking. Again. Read the article:
You are right about the global importance of fiber for data. The lag time on satellites make it unlikely, especially for geosynchronous communication satellites, as does the cost. Latency, i.e. ping times, is important for many applications and uses.

The light in the fibers need to be amplified every couple of miles, so there are amplifiers underwater along the length of the fiber. Subsea fiber cables, and amplifiers are a fascinating bit of technology and engineering, largely made possible by a small number of people who created solid state laser that could be put in amplifiers that could be dropped to the bottom of the ocean. It is an unseen world.
707c52101c21dcea08cf99deb562c9dd.jpg

You have to coil the whole run of fiber, hundreds to thousands of miles, in the ship; the three tanks in blue above.

Much of the backbone fiber in the US runs along railways; low impact, and continuous right of ways made it easy.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #4,052  
Y'all have to read this article. You think worldwide internet travels by satellite? This is a story, a long, detailed and well written story about the companies that fix underwater cables across the world. Satellite internet is NOT the heavy hauler of data that keeps everything going. I should Capitalize EVERYTHING. Maybe one day things will change over to satellite but not anytime soon. Undersea cables are still the mainstay.

As many think Mr Elon is a jerk, he is/was definitely forward looking. Again. Read the article:
NASA is the biggest user of helium. :unsure:
Wonder what the supposed 10,000 satellites in orbit are doing?

/ Starlink #4,053  
NASA is the biggest user of helium. :unsure:

Wonder what the supposed 10,000 satellites in orbit are doing?
NASA launches lots of large helium balloons for research. The NASA Columbia Scientific Balloon Facility is located near Palestine, Texas. We occasionally see the very large research balloons, 400' in diameter, flying over Athens heading for higher altitudes.

NASA - CSBF

/ Starlink #4,054  
NASA launches lots of large helium balloons for research. The NASA Columbia Scientific Balloon Facility is located near Palestine, Texas. We occasionally see the very large research balloons, 400' in diameter, flying over Athens heading for higher altitudes.

NASA - CSBF
My Dad and I took a motorcycle ride one day to this facility. Unannounced I asked the guard at the gate if we could get a tour. The Flight Director drove down to the gate and picked us up in his truck.

He spent about 3 hours showing us around and explained a lot of what they do. I was allowed to climb up on the launch vehicle and check it out. Quite impressive.

I asked if I could come back one day and fly model planes off the launch pad. He said absolutely just call and schedule it and he would be glad for us to come. That pad is a huge concrete circle that would be a blast to fly off of. I never took him up on that and really wish I had.

Very nice folks there.

/ Starlink #4,056  
I think watching a launch of a high altitude balloon, with its microscopically thin film is just amazing to watch. The team is incredibly careful, and great at what they do. A snag or a tear, means starting over...

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #4,057  

NASA - CSBF

Why do they need research balloons if there are plenty of satellites? What are they researching?

/ Starlink #4,058  
Why do they need research balloons if there are plenty of satellites? What are they researching?

Some types of research for which balloons are used are:​

• Cosmic Ray studies
  • Gamma Ray and X-Ray Astronomy
  • Optical and Ultra-Violet Astronomy
  • Infrared Astronomy
  • Atmospheric Sciences
  • Magnetospherics
  • Micrometeorite Particles
  • Cosmic Microwave Background Studies

/ Starlink #4,059  

Some types of research for which balloons are used are:​

• Cosmic Ray studies
  • Gamma Ray and X-Ray Astronomy
  • Optical and Ultra-Violet Astronomy
  • Infrared Astronomy
  • Atmospheric Sciences
  • Magnetospherics
  • Micrometeorite Particles
  • Cosmic Microwave Background Studies

tyson_da_grass.jpg

/ Starlink #4,060  
Is SL now throttling speeds based on short term usage? I read a while ago about not exceeding 1TB per month, but I had a recent experience that seemed different?

I usually download a 1.5G file each morning, but got behind and had to make up. So I downloaded 3 files, each about 1.5G. The first two went at "typical" speed.

After a while, my wife said: "wow the internet sure is slow today." (All she does is email and web browsing, so little data impact.) So I went to check the status of my 3rd download and it had slowed to a crawl. Eventually it finished but it took a l-o-n-g time. btw the transmission was from one residential SL system (CA) to another residential SL system (NV.)

A while later, or maybe the next day, everything was back up to normal speed.

This article talked about the monthly limit, but this seemed like a short term limit?

We just updated 3 Xbox consoles overnight, 15 gig each with no problems. We love Starlink even at $120 per month.