Starlink Best Efforts

/ Starlink Best Efforts
If you're this close to me, you shouldn't get it. It won't work at all.

There, that should free up bandwidth for me!!
You are probably the reason full roll out has been pushed back to "mid-2023"..... close out your account so there is room for me! :ROFLMAO:

/ Starlink Best Efforts #12  
I ordered my StarLink on January 1st, and received it on January 4th.

2022 and 2023, respectively. . .

OF COURSE my seasonal job started on January 2nd, and OF COURSE this weekend has been rained out, but it MIGHT be stopping in about 45 minutes.

I have to place the antenna atop a 22’ antenna mast to get sufficient visibility of the sky. This is only temporary, until I purchase some scaffolding and can mount in on the end of our peaked roof (10/12 pitch) eave (25 feet up).

So it will likely be a couple more days before I can give a report on how Best Effort works here in The Smoky Mountains.

Current snapshot of our DSL:

9DCF92D1-EF05-4FB9-8994-6139A26E2913.jpeg

/ Starlink Best Efforts #13  
Good luck. What do the obstructions look like on the app in the current location?

Congratulations on finally getting Starlink!

All the best, Peter

/ Starlink Best Efforts #14  
Good luck. What do the obstructions look like on the app in the current location?

Congratulations on finally getting Starlink!

All the best, Peter
Well, where my and tennis is going to go is 20+ feet up, so I really cannot get a good obstruction scan. But by moving around 80’ away from the house and up a bit of a slope, I can dummy up an approximation and it isn’t bad. . . “You could expect loss every 11 minutes” and I whine when it is on the post it will be even less obstructed. and as I am reading through all the old posts from the last 8 months, I do see the one guy who is in the hole in the pine trees having good results. So I am hopeful. . .

if it had arrived a week earlier I would have had good weather and no job yet and it would be up and running 🫤

Back to reading the thread - thank you for checking back with me!

/ Starlink Best Efforts #15  
After waiting for over a year, I was tempted by the “best efforts” offer. Then I spoke to a neighbor who signed up, and he was happy with the results. So we took the plunge. We are in the mountains in Western North Carolina. I had to wait for the weather to cooperate to mount on an eave about 30’ up where I was standing on a metal roof.

We have had it installed for 10 days now. I cannot speak for other locations, but I am very pleased with our installation. Our old speeds with Frontier DSL were about 2.4 download and .75 upload. Our Starlink speeds are 50-200 download, and 5-12 upload. Live streaming has had no interruptions whatsoever so far. We are using it for our cell phones as well; and have had real good results with Wi-Fi calling. At $110/month, I consider it a bargain compared to Frontier’s $67/ month.

Jack

/ Starlink Best Efforts #16  
If you're this close to me, you shouldn't get it. It won't work at all.

There, that should free up bandwidth for me!!
True that. Neighbor friend was complaining about their service and I almost recommended the Starlink solution but then I considered it might work well for them and they would tell their friends and their friends would tell their friends and so on until there would be no service left for me... so yeah, I'm not spreading the word.

/ Starlink Best Efforts #19  
Do you have to get an invitation from Starlink to get the best effort?

/ Starlink Best Efforts #20  
Do you have to get an invitation from Starlink to get the best effort?
I think all you have to do is enter your address at Starlink.com, and they will tell you what is on offer. If they don't offer you much and you have an address that doesn't align well with the actual house, consider moving the pin on the map. It may alter which "cell" you are in and whether it is active.

All the best,

Peter