Spray arc...

/ Spray arc...
Lincoln has a 600 amp gun for .120" wire.

6A FCAW-SS Welding Gun 12-764 - K116-2

You welders are letting me down. I tried to find a video of someone running 600amps with .120" wire, just to see what they were working on and how it looked. And there were no YouTube videos that I could find.

Come on guys... get with the program. This could be the very first time YouTube hasn't had a video of something I was wanting to see. heh

/ Spray arc... #32  
Only time I ever got near 600-amps, was carbon arcing. The leads would jump at least 2-feet off the floor.

I've run a lot of wire in the 450-amp range. That is a long ways from 600-amps!

/ Spray arc... #33  
I've done my fair share of carbon arc gouging for the past 30 years, 3/16@200 amp to 3/8 carbon@600 amps on a DC stick welding grid and on a Miller 456, I seen cables move a little but not 2 ft. off the deck.

At a shipyard a ship cannot be built without carbon arc gouging, I can understand that but joints have to be back gouged, but the constant structure mistakes at times seems to be out of control, I complained a few times 25 years ago, all my leadman said you cant gouge it till you weld it, true but gee-whizz.

/ Spray arc... #34  
You welders are letting me down. I tried to find a video of someone running 600amps with .120" wire, just to see what they were working on and how it looked. And there were no YouTube videos that I could find.

Come on guys... get with the program. This could be the very first time YouTube hasn't had a video of something I was wanting to see. heh

For big stuff, COR-MET has big wire and big rod videos: COR-MET weld repair of a dovetail in a sow block - YouTube

/ Spray arc... #35  
Biggest wire I have ever run was Stoody 110-O 7/64 Smokey Rock Quarry Crap.. I used to sell this stuff. Nasty !!

/ Spray arc... #36  
I just snapped a pic of a poster on my shop wall. This may help some with a better understanding of (GMAW) modes of transfer.

IMG_2622.JPG

Terry

/ Spray arc...
I had some trouble in class last night, and I can't figure out the issue.

Worked on filet welds. He still has me doing spray arc. I think voltage was 26.4V and unfortunately, I don't remember wire feed.

At first, I had been too slow, and was making my welds far to big, they were hot and flat, but just too much metal deposited for the 1/4" plate. So, as I sped up my travel speed, I began noticing some pretty significant undercut. My welds looked better, although, as I moved faster, my speed was a little less consistent in that I really couldn't see much of a puddle at all. I had to move so fast to stay on the front of the puddle, It seemed as though I was just zipping along. *I have a question about that inconsistency in a moment.*

I asked the teacher, he thought it might be to hot, but then he did a joint himself and his was certainly better than mine. But I still noticed a little undercut on his as well. He mentioned angle, etc. And over the course of 30 or so welds I tried every variation I could think of, but either the welds were awful or the undercut remained, or a combination of the two.

*Concerning speed, I am standing at a table about 40" tall, skirted on 3 sides. It has a bit of splatter, etc on it and if I rest my offhand on it as I traverse the weld, my glove catches on the splatter, causing a variation in speed. I know its me... but what I know even more is that I won't be welding in this position ever again, in all likelihood. How do you hold your gun without resting on the table. I need to begin working on this because what I am doing now is far too artificial, and it still isn't working for me. Is this something which is just practice, practice, practice? I've tried freehand, and while it wasn't a lot better (wiggly) it wasn't catching on spatter.*

And finally, I was welding scrap which they have available, and after welding one side (6"), the short piece really angled towards the welded side. So much so that the 'part' would be unusable. Why is this and what am I doing wrong?

1. Undercut???
2. Holding gun
3. Angled piece on filet.

IMG_4445.JPGIMG_4453.JPG

/ Spray arc... #38  
Looks like you need to settle in and get more comfortable before pulling the trigger. Welds look like you're just sticking the gun out there and going. Rest your gun hand on your other hand and get the motion down before pulling the trigger. You'll be a pro in no time.

/ Spray arc... #39  
I hold the Mig gun in my right hand. My left hand cups my fingers of my right hand. Rest the Mig gun gooseneck between my pointer finger, and thumb. I keep the little finger of my left hand on what I'm welding, and slide my left hand as I travel.
With that much undercut. I would increase the wire speed. Or turn down the volts.

/ Spray arc...
Thanks guys.

I feel like it is running hot as well. But, I hate to disagree with the guy I'm paying to 'teach me'. I'm less and less enthralled with this class. I really feel like it is more of a practice place, which is great... if you have the skill to begin with. I see a bunch of young inner-city kids in there in their 20's and I worry that they are going to 'finish' without the skill to succeed. But maybe they are getting more formality and I am getting a 'go for it' education. I'm not looking for a certificate, just confidence that my weld will hold appropriately.

I'm going to ask him to change me from high voltage spray arc to something which would be more world useful to me.

I have ordered a Everlast 251si, which should be here this weekend. I will have 230v capability.

What should I ask him to teach me? If no one thinks spray arc is going to be that useful to me in the real world, I'd rather be working on something which will benefit me. I think the machine at class is a 450a Miller and it is just 'too much' for me, when I won't have that capability in the real world.

What do you recommend I ask him to teach me given a 251si will be what I am using? My goal is farm repair and some fabrication. I'd like to build a few things, just for the enjoyment.

Also, where would you look to find 'practice metal' for welding?