Son's new career path, pretty proud father

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #91  
Well, at age 19, he's finally out of the home!!

In all honesty, pretty proud of him as well as all the young people in the pic below.

View attachment 833103

He's done well for himself, started working at age 15, saves and buys what he wants with his own money. Honestly, don't think he's ever asked a buck from me growing up once he had a job. He does have my fathers and I work eithic.

MEP's and the enlistment "process" really seems to have changed from the 80's. Until his ship date (yesterday) he had to keep his recruiter informed if he got married or had any children (a LOT of checking in).

Although I'm proud of him, I'm just as proud as my father. My father lived with us the last 4 years of his life. He and my son were two peas in a pod together when dad was living with us.

When we drove our son down to Charlotte Sunday night, my wife was getting on him because he was taking a small "carry on" bag instead of a small back pack he has used for hiking in the past. She told him that small back pack would work a lot better in a airport than that small bag he was taking. My wife informed me that it hit her that night that the bag our son was taking was the bag that my father had given him.

Needless to say, it's my fathers footsteps that my son wants to follow, not mine, but just as proud.

I had to burry my dad last year, never got to see his grave site as the cemetary was putting him on top of my mother. My one uncle died this year and I went to his funeral in part because he was being burried in the same cemetary as my father and I could visit my parents gravesite.

Below, the man who influenced my son so much telling him stories of the world he saw when he was a younger man during his lifelong committment to the military (removed his name as I don't like posting family info online, I'm old like that).

Both my wife and I agreed that my father was smiling down from Heaven.

View attachment 833104
Thanking your family for their military service. I served Army and Airforce then retired in 2008. My burial plan is to be in a VA cemetery as well.

I also served in the 80s and its comforting to know that folks like your son are on watch now.

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #92  
My brother was at Lackland
Lackland is the USAF's sole location for basic training for enlisted personnel. They all start there.

When dad went in (early days of AF history), there was a problem with housing or something and they shipped his class from Lackland to Sheppard (Wichita Falls, TX) to complete basic training. Oddly enough, my brother's first assignment after the Academy was to Sheppard for his job training (aircraft maintenance officer).

The AFSC training can be at 4 different bases (5 different training wings, 2 of them at Lackland). Both officers and enlisted get this training (in most cases).

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father
Where will he be assigned in SC? Shaw?
Yes.

I knew of the base around Charleston years ago as I had a co worker that spent time there in the reserves, but I actually had to look Shaw up, never knew it existed.

Growing up with my dad, all the bases in Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York and Ohio have all closed now (although a good friends brother retired out of Wright Patterson).

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #94  
My dad spent around 22 or so years in the Air Force so I was kind of used to some bases myself lol

At some point in my fathers career he was SAC, so that’s one reason why am very familiar with the Northeast as a kid growing up.

What I find funny is all those bases we lived on as a family are now closed, and everything has gone down to the south apparently.

I need to look it up, not even sure there is a Strategic Air Command anymore.
Our dad's were so alike. Dad retired in '73 after 22 years. He was mostly in MAC. SAC is now just Strategic Command, iirc. He retired out of Travis. It's still there, but he was at March before that (gone). Offutt is the SC HQ, I believe. It was SAC HQ anyway. Until they couldn't drive much, the folks would drive the 3 hours from Sioux Falls to Omaha for groceries and such. We lived further north before that and drove to Grand Forks for shopping.

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #95  
I live about 30 mins from Shaw. Tell him if he ever misses the farm life he's welcome to come by. I can find something for him to do. LOL.

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #96  
Yes.

I knew of the base around Charleston years ago as I had a co worker that spent time there in the reserves, but I actually had to look Shaw up, never knew it existed.

Growing up with my dad, all the bases in Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York and Ohio have all closed now (although a good friends brother retired out of Wright Patterson).
It will probably depend on the Company he is assigned to. Heavy aircraft or light air craft. The Transports operate out of Charleston and the Fighters operates out of Shaw.

It will probably depend on the Company he is assigned to. Heavy aircraft or light air craft. The Transports operate out of Charleston and the Fighters operates out of Shaw.
As long as he graduates on time, he's going to Shaw.

Sig, that looks like a great letter that others may borrow for passing on to their youngins.

Daughter who went into to Air Force from ROTC, was always involved with space/rockets. She has since been transferred into Space Force. She knows an AF airman that was stationed in Korea and has since been tranferred to Alaska. His family has is/has been with him in both locations. Daughter and family plan on visiting them in Alaska this summer before he leaves. Jon
Thank you on the letter.

What's interesting as my wife pointed out to me is I'm much better communitcating with my son per my thoughts via the written word than verbally.

Honestly, some of the better conversations I've had with him are via text, go figure. Genearlly I try to think what I write before I send it via text.

Last edited:
Thanking your family for their military service. I served Army and Airforce then retired in 2008. My burial plan is to be in a VA cemetery as well.

I also served in the 80s and its comforting to know that folks like your son are on watch now.
I had 6 uncles that served in WW2 and Korea. More than a couple of cousins during Vietnam.

It wasn't until my son enlisted that I finally figured out why my dad was so pissed when I told him I enlisted in the Army.

The reality is my son as he's gotten older is more of a "hands on worker" and learns more by doing vs reading. He would agree that studying at college right after high school most likely wouldn't accomplish anything for him.

I do honestly believe that the military is a great option for young people right out of high school. They not only serve their country, but they can learn job skills, learn how to work with people, and more importantly IMO, understand what it's like when the government owns your arse. On top of that, if you decide to get out, you can have any schooling paid by the government. He had a 401K before he went it, but now they're taking out for him on a ROTH IRA which he likes.

I had to laugh when my boy told me he finally understands why I can eat, crap and shower so fast :ROFLMAO: That said, he always ate pretty fast, but God I couldn't believe how much time he could spend in the bathroom when he lived with us taking care of his hair.

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #100  
Several of our best RNs from modest means like the first in family with college were only able through their military service.

Funny thing is many complain about high cost of education but the same path available to our fathers is available today