Son's new career path, pretty proud father

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father
Several of our best RNs from modest means like the first in family with college were only able through their military service.

Funny thing is many complain about high cost of education but the same path available to our fathers is available today
The first person on either side of my parents family who went to college went due to the GI bill (both set of gradparents came over on a boat in the early 1900's as adults).

My uncle served in WW2 and Korea. Went to college afterwards due to his service.

When I told my aunt (she's pushing 90 and still stays active for her age) we took a trip to California and she asked me where we went and I mentioned we did Route 1 to Big Sur, she told me it was her favorite area in the US.

What I never knew all my life until I told my Aunt about our California trip was that my uncle actually was stationed in Monterey at the Language school, learning Russian in the 1950's (his native tongue was a slavonic variant). Apparently he was there for a decent amount of time (over a year) and they lived outside of Monterey. My aunt was explaining a life I never knew that they had.

He was my favoite uncle. He worked for the Justice department for like 20 years after he got out of the Army, and myself as a kid, thought he was coolest because he carried a gun for work. He taught me to play chess and read books (he had a large library in the Den).

The the irony is he was the one who taught me to always fear the US government, which at the time I couldn't understand as a kid, because he worked for the government. As I've gotten older, it all kind of makes sense now.

Son had some punishment handed out to him today because between him and his roomate in schooling, apparently their bathroom didn't meet stadard military requirements.

One more thing I loved about the military! LMAO

I felt like telling him he never knew how good he had it at home, but I won't.

When I came home, my mom couldn't belive how well I could clean my room (no dust above bedroom door molding as well, and she actually checked LOL).

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #103  
Nice write up Sig

Nice write up Sig
Thanks.

One thing that is nice on this forum is if you write something on your end per a post, you can go back years to find it when you forget all about it.

Boy has had some downers in tech school.

First, he failed his first PT test in tech school and apparently it wasn't good on his end. Very down on his end. Made no sense to us as he passed in basic, then failed in tech school? He felt the same was as well. We told him (tech school they can text after schooling and "workload" is done) that he needs to stick up for himself because we can't.

He went into his Sgt's office and showed him he could do the push ups that same day he failed (turned out that Sgt didn't administer the PT test). Turns out, apparently he was doing them wrong. For whatever reason because he went in to show his Sgt in person he knew he could do them, it help cut down on paperwork and everything was good from that point forward. I'm scratching my head on how you can graduate from basic by doing push ups per incorrect form. Perhaps a test on their part, no clue, but it seems like PT is the least of his worries now.

He also failed his first "block test" in tech shool. He was down about that. Took it again, he passed no problem.

Kid just isn't used to studying like his life depended on it in high school, and I think he's learning about when studying directly affects your livelihood it can add pressure. He always got average grades in high school, but he would always be wanting to work and make money over studying (the rule was as long as school didn't suffer, he could work).

Like I asked him when he was in his second week of basic, did he think he would make it through no problem? His answer was he wasn't sure. Then I asked him if he had do to basic all over again, do you think you would make it though? His answer was no problem and he knows for a fact he would make it through. I just explained to him he's just in a new environment and it's no different than your second week in basic. I also pointed out that he got the most improved airman award for his entire flight (he was very proud of that) and I explained that didn't come without giving 130%.

When we visited him after Basic, he "almost" beat me in arm wrestling LOL He sent us a class pic the other week, and it does look like he's finally starting to take PT serious now LOL

End of the day, like I explained to him, know that you if give 130% in effort, and we will never be disapointed of him. We may be disapointed for him, but not of him. I explained there is a huge difference between those two words in the same sentence.

Very interesting as a parent trying to explain that there is no such thing as failure as long as you give it your best effort. Learn from your mistakes and get right back up on that horse again. The only failure is never trying while giving it your best effort, because if you don't give at least 100%, why do it in the first place.

Last conversation he seems happy and excited, and looking forward to the future.

He did complain it doesn't seem like he's making as much money in the AF as he did in the civilian world though (at age 19 LOL). Had to explain to him that he's maxing out his Roth account the AF is putting into along with another federal savings program they set up for him. Wife did his taxes and he did pretty well for himself last year working part time up to the summer, and then full time before he enlisted. Looking, he actually did earn last year more than what a E-1 makes in the Air Force.

Also explained to him the military is just like his parents though. Free food, medical and shelter that he doesn't have to pay for :ROFLMAO:

Like I told him, his grandfather bought his first and only house due to the money he saved while serving a career in the AF.

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #105  
Thanks.

One thing that is nice on this forum is if you write something on your end per a post, you can go back years to find it when you forget all about it.

Boy has had some downers in tech school.

First, he failed his first PT test in tech school and apparently it wasn't good on his end. Very down on his end. Made no sense to us as he passed in basic, then failed in tech school? He felt the same was as well. We told him (tech school they can text after schooling and "workload" is done) that he needs to stick up for himself because we can't.

He went into his Sgt's office and showed him he could do the push ups that same day he failed (turned out that Sgt didn't administer the PT test). Turns out, apparently he was doing them wrong. For whatever reason because he went in to show his Sgt in person he knew he could do them, it help cut down on paperwork and everything was good from that point forward. I'm scratching my head on how you can graduate from basic by doing push ups per incorrect form. Perhaps a test on their part, no clue, but it seems like PT is the least of his worries now.

He also failed his first "block test" in tech shool. He was down about that. Took it again, he passed no problem.

Kid just isn't used to studying like his life depended on it in high school, and I think he's learning about when studying directly affects your livelihood it can add pressure. He always got average grades in high school, but he would always be wanting to work and make money over studying (the rule was as long as school didn't suffer, he could work).

Like I asked him when he was in his second week of basic, did he think he would make it through no problem? His answer was he wasn't sure. Then I asked him if he had do to basic all over again, do you think you would make it though? His answer was no problem and he knows for a fact he would make it through. I just explained to him he's just in a new environment and it's no different than your second week in basic. I also pointed out that he got the most improved airman award for his entire flight (he was very proud of that) and I explained that didn't come without giving 130%.

When we visited him after Basic, he "almost" beat me in arm wrestling LOL He sent us a class pic the other week, and it does look like he's finally starting to take PT serious now LOL

End of the day, like I explained to him, know that you if give 130% in effort, and we will never be disapointed of him. We may be disapointed for him, but not of him. I explained there is a huge difference between those two words in the same sentence.

Very interesting as a parent trying to explain that there is no such thing as failure as long as you give it your best effort. Learn from your mistakes and get right back up on that horse again. The only failure is never trying while giving it your best effort, because if you don't give at least 100%, why do it in the first place.

Last conversation he seems happy and excited, and looking forward to the future.

He did complain it doesn't seem like he's making as much money in the AF as he did in the civilian world though (at age 19 LOL). Had to explain to him that he's maxing out his Roth account the AF is putting into along with another federal savings program they set up for him. Wife did his taxes and he did pretty well for himself last year working part time up to the summer, and then full time before he enlisted. Looking, he actually did earn last year more than what a E-1 makes in the Air Force.

Also explained to him the military is just like his parents though. Free food, medical and shelter that he doesn't have to pay for :ROFLMAO:

Like I told him, his grandfather bought his first and only house due to the money he saved while serving a career in the AF.
When Uncle Sam jerked me out of civilian life in 1962 to go visit a foreign land E-1 pay was a handsome $78.00 before deductions per month.

Today a E-1 earns $1,695 per month.

Quite a difference.

Quite a difference in combat pay also $55.00 in Vietnam, $225.00 now.

I passed a couple of these in service. Don’t think I could do it today.

Physical Fitness Test (41 T Push-Ups in 2 minutes, 2:35 plank, run 5 miles in 40 minutes or less, and 6 pull-ups), Water Survival Assessment, and 12-mile Footmarch with a 35lb rucksack and weapon in under 3 hours.

Now I know some are going to wonder or ask, What is a Plank Test.

Well:

For 2.35 minutes you.

During a Plank event, you will maintain a plank for as long as possible, in the proper position: Position hands no more than one fist-width apart. Position feet no more than one boot-width apart. Position elbows under the shoulders. Push up the body as one unit and hold the body in a straight line from head to ankles.

A lot could do push ups, but would get caught at the “Plank Test” if the test was done right after the push up and pull up portion of the test.

Last edited:
He'll be flying home end of March.

2 weeks working with the local recruiter, technically Monday through Friday with weekends "off", then be driving to South Carolina to Shaw. By working with the recruiter he doesn't have to take leave.

He said he'll be flying into Charlotte and I told him he'd have to take a Uber home as it's too long of a drive with lots of traffic LOL

When Uncle Sam jerked me out of civilian life in 1962 to go visit a foreign land E-1 pay was a handsome $78.00 before deductions per month.

Today a E-1 earns $1,695 per month.
You seemed kind of low, so I had to look up the Army payscale this morning.

AF.png

Nice thing is when he gets to his duty station, he'll be an E-3 for the fact that he enlisted for a longer time frame than he had to.

He sounded more excited because he said he's getting college credits for logistics, and if he keeps taking classes, he can earn more college time (NEVER thought I'd hear him talk about college LOL).

Like I told him, keep squirling his money away like he as always done, and whever he decides to get out, he should have a decent nest egg.

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #108  
You seemed kind of low, so I had to look up the Army payscale this morning.

View attachment 856884
Nice thing is when he gets to his duty station, he'll be an E-3 for the fact that he enlisted for a longer time frame than he had to.

He sounded more excited because he said he's getting college credits for logistics, and if he keeps taking classes, he can earn more college time (NEVER thought I'd hear him talk about college LOL).

Like I told him, keep squirling his money away like he as always done, and whever he decides to get out, he should have a decent nest egg.
What I posted was the 2023 pay scale. Your post is the 2024 pay scale and includes the recent 5.2% pay raise and 3.2 COLA.

What I posted was the 2023 pay scale. Your post is the 2024 pay scale and includes the recent 5.2% pay raise and 3.2 COLA.
In my defense, you stated "Today a E-1 earns $1,695 per month." which you posted in 2024 ;)

I was sincerely curious myself.

Made me curious. At $15 an hour, working full time, that's $31,200 annually. I can remember when that was a lot of money.

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #110  
That squirreling the money away is critical. That and saving up his leave like he's doing.
I always looked at it like every hour I "banked" would pay interest, just because I would be at a higher grade when I cashed it in.
My "nest egg" after 3 years in effectively paid for my 75 acres of land in Vermont.